PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have been cursed by tongue bite for forty years, which has greatly limited the amount of bowls per week I can smoke. I have been trying to determine the cause and possible solutions. Here is an article that is a serious discussion of the matter: http://binsbergenpipes.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6
I have stumbled onto another solution: the calabash pipe. I suffer from far less to no tongue bite when smoking one of these puppies. It may have to do with the meerschaum bowl cooling the smoke along with the cooling smoke chamber in the gourd. The gourd may alter the PH of the smoke somehow... I don't know, but it works for me. :D
Let me know what you think.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, flyguy! And thanks for the link. :clap:

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon which was brought to light by Mac Baren's Virginia #1.

Some say it is a notorious tongue biter, but it doesn't affect me at all. Other blends have bitten my tongue, however.

I believe pipe smokers can be divided into two camps -- for this blend at least: those affected, and those who aren't.

I liken it to the division among cola drinkers. Some, like me, can't stand the taste of diet soda. Others tolerate it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You are not alone Flyguy. I was cursed with it for years. Now I am very choosey what I smoke and how I dry it. Makes a big difference. I like VA's but could never smoke em. Now I find that if I dry it to almost crispy, I can smoke some now and then. Just keep on experimenting mate.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I only get true tongue bite from certain blends with Red Virginias. Some Red Virginias don't mess with me at all. I think it has something to do with PG and Red Virginia together because the blend that really hurt me wouldn't dry out, even after 2 days on a paper plate. If I smoke hard and fast I do get tongue burn, but it has been awhile since I've experienced either.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I love McClelland aged Virginia flakes (with or without perique). They bite but I can't lay off of them! Drying them out completely helps but the Calabash pipe helps even more.

I have read tons of tobacco reviews where reviewers give a poor review because the tobacco was too wet out-of-the-tin. I always figured that preparation of the tobacco prior to smoking was part of pipe smoking. Most of the posters on this site have figured this out. Tobaccos that won't dry out is another matter...

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I remember getting tongue-bite when I began smoking, and still do when outside doing a chore and not

paying attention to my smoke. The more involved the job is, the more I puff and end up burning my mouth.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Over the years, I have tried everything from drying tobacco out until crunchy, to smoking or sipping very slowly and taking special care in packing my pipe...

I started out by smoking aromatics. Some aros are sugary and hot and really bite. I didn't, for the most part, find aros very satisfying after a time. When I was young I tried English blends but couldn't stand the taste. What a difference a few years make! Now I smoke mostly English blends and Virginia flakes. I smoke sitting down (in my man cave) so I can concentrate on not puffing too fast. I think I have an over-sensitive mouth. My Calabash has put me on the road to recovery. Anyone out there that suffers from tongue bite and has tried everything else, I recommend the Calabash pipe as a last resort. I would get me a hookah but I consider them to be confining, demonic devices :lol:!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Foggy, you a stockholder in Gawith & Hogarth's Broken Scottish Cake? Went to buy some & they are all out since your post.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
Cure: switch to Gawith & Hogarth's Broken Scottish Cake.
I've found that certain brands agree with me better that others. G&H and C&D without exception never bite me if I dry them out properly. Maybe its got something to do with the manufacturing process. I find C&D va-pers and straight Virginias to be very tastey, high in vitamin N, and easy on the tongue.
I battled tongue bite as well but I think I've got it licked by avoiding certain blends and drying everything out to almost a crisp which btw prevents gurgling also.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
No matter how much a particular leaf bites me I will try the blend at least once. The combination of the different tobaccos or the way in which it was prepared can still be appreciated. However if the bite is too much I simply trade it off to a wonderful member here. I will never let tongue bit get in the way of trying blends I've never tried before because I simply do not know whether or not I will like it, and have not yet personally ruled out a particular leaf that caused my tongue bite.
However Virginia #1 by MacBaren took a chainsaw to my tongue. It's crazy how some people actually like it.
@cortezattic

I completely agree with your assessment. But would like to add that it is magnified in the world on tobacco which bites. We can ALL tolerate a crappy soda if we're thirsty. But if the last tobacco on earth was MacBaren's Virginia #1 I'd have to SEVERELY alter it to be able to smoke it. It just hurts too much. Like trying to eat live hornets with 9 lives.
I remember getting tongue-bite when I began smoking, and still do when outside doing a chore and not

paying attention to my smoke. The more involved the job is, the more I puff and end up burning my mouth.
I'm sorry but you've misspoken, this isn't tongue bite. It's just that you've gotten the tobacco immensely hot.

Even when smoked cool you can be tongue bite because the blend/mixture does not agree with your pallet.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I do hate it when that happens. You look forward to the AMAZING BLEND EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT. And then it bites you... greeeeeeat.
Chemical reaction indeed!

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
After 45 years of smoking the pipe, I still get it sometimes. Most times it is when I smoke to fast or I break in a new pipes or I am just have a bad chemistry day. It helps to sip it.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
I have stumbled onto another solution: the calabash pipe
Has anyone else had this experience? Can the shape affect tongue bite? Chemical burn is chemical burn right? Maybe heat burn could be minimized by the vessel but the PH cannot be affected by shape, can it? Am I missing something?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
You're correct sir, the calabash does not totally eliminate the chemical (PH) burn. As I have mentioned, I enjoy Virginia flakes such as Blackwoods, Beacon, etc. These have an attraction that are like a moth to a flame to me. They are acidic tobaccos that give me tongue bite. The calabash pipe helps but I still get bitten. It does help to drink ice water when smoking these tobaccos. My well water is slightly alkaline and helps offset the the acidity of these tobaccos. Virginias taste bad if you do not sip them so that helps too. The calabash really shines for me when smoking the English blends which I tend to puff too fast. The pipe also helps in cooling during relights. I realize that nothing takes the place of tobacco preparation and slowing down while smoking. I fear I will always have a problem with Virginias but I like them too much to lay off. Perhaps mixing them with a little burley would help. Any suggestions?

stanven

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Yes-tongue bite! If I smoke very slowly and not too many bowls during the day I don't get it so often. It still happens occasionally if I don't think about taking it easy while smoking.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Brigham's Maple Rock Filter system, Savinelli's Balsa Filter System are both quite effective in extracting the liquid components out of the smoke stream that cause the chemical reaction of tongue bite. They are not 100% - but still ... for blends that I know will take a snip out of my tongue either system works greatly in reducing the effect to a minimum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flyguy, I think your problem is a chemical one. I think the alkalinity in your body will not let you smoke McClelllend VA's. I tried for years to smoke them because I loved the flavors, but gave them up and I am glad I did. I have an aversion to many red virginia's and I call it acid burn not tongue bite. The minute the smoke hits my tongue I can feel it start to sizzle and burn, I know it is not smoking style or tobacco being to wet, it is a chemical reaction. I have found well over 25 Va and Vaper flakes that have absolutely no acid burn. Here is a current list of my rotation. The TR next to the name means ready to smoke out of the tin.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage-TR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake , Gold Virginia Flake ( brown and gold TR)

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Wessex Gold Brick

Rotary Navy Cut

Dan Tobacco - Tordenskjold Virginia Slices

Petersons Irish Flake