Tom Hanks Portrayal of Walt Disney Lacks Authenticity

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by eaglerico
  • Latest reply from undecagon
  1. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Apparently to prevent the movie from getting an "R" rating, and the fact that smoking is not an currently held Disney Co. value, it was necessary to be historically inaccurate for Tom Hanks to not smoke is his upcoming movie where he portrays Walt Disney. This is disturbing to me on a deep level. I constantly see violent films with only PG-13 status and yet smoking gets an R rating. Apparently they also forgot about there smoking characters from Walt Disney's time at the movie studio.

http://tv.yahoo.com/daytime/dint-tom-hanks-shares-historic-200442374.html

Glenn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

What a shame. The movie looks interesting, but I heard it hasn't rec'd great reviews.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have stopped being enamored of Tom Hanks, he lives in rairified air like the rest of The Rat Pack, and No not the Deno Pack, He supports the WWII Museum in New Orleans so maybe I should not be so critical of him, it's just sad how they turn out.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is disturbing to me on a deep level. I constantly see violent films with only PG-13 status and yet smoking gets an R rating

+1

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The really idiotic thing is that if they really cared about educating kids against smoking, they could have shown Walt Disney chainsmoking cigarettes and made a point of the fact he died from lung cancer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

I can't imagine the smoking would be the only reason it would have an R. The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings films were PG-13 and they have violence and smoking. Maybe it's because they are fantasy creatures.....

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Hey kids, smoking BAD!! But censorship and pandering is good!!"

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wondered about that after seeing an ad for the new movie, and looked up Walt's Wikipedia entry. According to that, Walt was always careful not to be observed smoking around children - evidently, his smoking habit was a private indulgence, suitable for adults but not his target audience.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn’t bother me much they left the smoking part out, its movies after all. I have read SEVERAL things about Walt I bet they leave out of the movie. Nowthe reason they left it out being it gets them a lighter rating for audiences that is ridiculous. Smoking put on the same list as blood, guys, nudity , and extreme violence. That makes sense!

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is just pathetic. So Casablanca would be rated R released today?

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

eagle: Surely you are jesting. It's a movie, not a history lesson. Hollywood doesn't do history with any real degree of accuracy any more than television does. Movies are for entertainment and/or propagandizing. In spite of what the salaried players would like you to believe, movies are flights of fancy.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Disney is such a monolithic corporation, I don't think any realistic depiction of Walt Disney could ever be done,
    with or without the pipe smoking. I would recommend that people take their kids to our national parks and
    do only a light dose or skip the Disney theme parks. Cultivate childrens' imaginations, not the Disney till.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wondered about that after seeing an ad for the new movie, and looked up Walt's Wikipedia entry. According to that, Walt was always careful not to be observed smoking around children - evidently, his smoking habit was a private indulgence, suitable for adults but not his target audience.

If that were true, then Disney wouldn't have portrayed any of his characters as smoking. However, many many characters smoked in Disney's films, including Merlin smoking a pipe in "Sword in the Stone", Goofy smoking cigarettes, Pinocchio smoking a pipe, and even John and Michael (children) smoking a peace pipe in "Peter Pan".

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can anyone buy the kid glove treatment Walt will get in this movie? I hate biopics generally because they usually try too hard to be gentle to the subject and too much artistic license gets carried out when filing in blanks and create dialogue.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I don't really care for Tom Hanks. For some reason, he annoys me.

You never go FULL RETARD man! NEVER!

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that were true, then Disney wouldn't have portrayed any of his characters as smoking. However, many many characters smoked in Disney's films, including Merlin smoking a pipe in "Sword in the Stone", Goofy smoking cigarettes, Pinocchio smoking a pipe, and even John and Michael (children) smoking a peace pipe in "Peter Pan".

Point taken. It was a Wikipedia article, after all, so I'd need further citations to buy into it entirely. I'd also mention Roger, the lead (human) male in "101 Dalmatians", who also smoked a pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

At least Mr Hanks notices that this removal of smoking in movies is bad. Maybe if more actors start to share his opinion we can bring it back on screen. Though the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films as mentioned previously do bring me hope that we can look forward to seeing pipes on screen.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

It is colossally asinine.

It was extremely difficult to find a photo of Walt Disney smoking a pipe when we published a piece on him.

Walt Disney: American Icon, Inventor of Pop Culture - Pipe Smoker

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just saw a screener of this upcoming movie and was stunned to see the scene where Walt did lines of coke off a hooker's ass while he was dressed in a Captain Hook costume. He never lit up once though.

Ok, I am bullshitting.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why does this not surprise me? I liked him a whole lot in Saving Private Ryan, but this does not excuse the rewriting of history. LMFAO peck
    "... off a hooker's ass". Priceless.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You had me going for a moment, Peck!

I don't personally like Tom Hanks, but he sure looks a lot like Walt. I can't remember ever seeing Disney smoking when I was a kid.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His park used to have a tobacco shop and release their own (?) pipes. Every now and then I find Disney pipes on eBay and end up bailing cuz they just don't LOOK worth the money they sometimes go for.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We watched the finale of "Sons of Anarchy" the other night on television. One character was killed with a cooking fork stuck repeatedly into her head. It was one of the most violent and disturbing scenes we've watched on television OR the movies (and I'm generally not adverse to violence of horror).
    Smoking a cigarette gets an "R" rating...yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At least Mr Hanks notices that this removal of smoking in movies is bad.

Can anyone buy the kid glove treatment Walt will get in this movie? I hate biopics generally because they usually try too hard to be gentle to the subject and too much artistic license gets carried out when filing in blanks and create dialogue.

There is that - I heard a radio interview yesterday about the film, with Mr. Hanks talking about feeling like there should have been something else going on in a lot of scenes - "smoking cigarettes, arguing over storyboards, that sort of thing." Sounded almost like he felt like a prop much of the time...

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is good for PIPE smoking though. If a lit and inhaled cig = and R rating, maybe we'll see more pipes in films. LOTR and Holmes had plenty but were both PG-13.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash, cossackjack