PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Components: Latakia Orientals Virginia Family: English

Cut: Ribbon
Well this is my first review for a noobie so I will do my best. I got this as a sample from SPC along with a sample of the Tom Eltange Mixture which I will try tomorrow.
The write-up was OK but did not WOW me so I have only bought tins of the Sweet & Mellow and Virginia and I called this one right. Maybe I am learning something along the way.
Now to the review, the open bag had a nice smell to it, rich I would say. The tobacco appears to be of good quality (too new to be a good judge) and is a medium ribbon cut. The moisture content was right on as the baccy smoked cool(notably so), no bite and burned to a white ash with pratically no dottle.
The blend consists of Virginias, Katirini and Latakia. I am a big fan of Latakia and this blend for me was missing any but the slighest hint of it and I am not sure of even that. I smoked it very slowly looking for the nuances of the virginias and the slight, but ever so slight sweetness was there, but I had to work at it. The smoke is very mild to say the least, and I found myself walking through the exhaled smoke in search of flavour. For the cigar smoker I would equate it's strength to a La Caya connie. I both took the smoke through the nose and retrohaled it to give the blend a fair shake and neither made much difference.
I smoked two bowls in a clean cob and 2 bowls in the Grabow Omega, not the best of pipes but I am using these as tobacco testing pipes and the Omega produced a better result but by very little.
So in closing, the blend has a pleasant bag smell and room note, with both being about the same. This ia a mild smoke and if you are looking for a mild all-day blend that you don't have to think about this might be up your alley. I personally found it boring and at $9 plus a tin (and I'm buying a lot of various blends)I will not be putting this in my cellar, just too many more intersting blends out there. For the vets and the initiated, maybe you guys and gals can pick out all the different tastes and "Nuances" in this, sadly I cannot.
Having been a cigar smoker for years and strength's on the fuller side, I may be a bit bias on the strength description so take that with a grain of salt. This is not a bad blend, just not much there in my opinion.
Well there you have it.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Zito, unfortunately, I would have to agree with you. I was left unimpressed with the sample I had. Mostly tasted bright Virginias, almost no Latakia, or even Orientals. Not the particular type of "English" I like. A sample of Mixture is coming in the next order.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.