PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Components: Burley Virginia Family: Virginia

Cut: Ribbon
Well here is my final review of the new Tom Eltang blends, the Virginia. I have not smoked very many VA's and OGS mainly. I again used a clean cob and had to switch to the Peterson Bent as the Omega was tired from all it's hard work and it's getting a much needed rest.
On opening the tin, you get the Virginia fragrance that I have read so much about. That classic vinegar and ketchup, pepper aroma. This is a Virginia burley blend but the burley did not seem to show itself in the tin aroma. The tobacco is of high quality, moisture content excellent and it is a smallish ribbon cut, which packed easily with a slight turning motion. The burn was excellent with virtually no dottle.
The Virginia is a very straightforward blend from what I have learned so far of VA blends. The burley adds a slight woody note but not at all overpowering, kinda mellows the smoke out. The smoke is dry; has a decent room note and subtle sweetness. As with the other blends except maybe the Sweet and Mellow, the smoke is mild and pleasant. This blend will not overpower you and I have determined having tried all of the other blends that this seems to be the intent. This was a nice smoke, pleasant virginia blend that a beginner may like to try if they want to start to see what VA's are like.
So what is my take on this review experience, it was fun and informative. From the beginner's point of view, I was able to try four blends that give a basic taste of a Virginia, English, Aro and Vaper blends. They were all distinct in their own way and my overall impression was favorable in that regard.
As far as would I cellar any of these, probably not except maybe for the Virginia. The blends are mild as I think was intended and they accomplished that. From my years of smoking cigars, I was pretty good at picking out cigars that would age well, but the vast majority of the cigars aged were of sufficient strength to handle time, becoming milder and giving up the sometimes acrid notes and mellowing out to become smooth. There is just not enough strength in these blends to handle time, so I feel they would just become too bland. The Virginia on the other hand had that slight sweetness that in my opinion would be interesting to see if it improves. The Sweet and Mellow is a good mild Aro that is ready now. The Mixture is nice if you like a "surprize in the box-Perique going in and out" type of blend.
So what we have is four distinct blends, mild in strength, good tobacco quality, great burners and not complex. For my final thought, it would be this, if I were making a tobacco purchase and wanted something new to try and needed to fill the basket to get free shipping, throw a tin of one of these in there just to give it a try depending on the blend you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.