PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well yesterday I reviewed the Tom Eltang English and here are my thoughts on the new "Mixture" blend that I got as a free sample from SPC and thanks to the great people there.
Components: Burley Perique Virginia Family: Virginia

Cut: Broken Flake
On opening the sample bag I got a barnyard, hayish and manure smell. I even noticed a slight chemical smell but that did not carry into the smoke and I might describe the chemical smell as sour. I again used a new clean cob and the Grabow Omega to be fair in my review. The cut is a broken flake and I rubbed it out a little which produced some ribbon and the tobacco seemed to be of good quality. The fill was easy with just the right amount of draw resistance. Either I am getting good at this or it's the tobacco, probably the tobacco. The tobacco is made up of some light and dark brown tobacco and dark leaf which is probably the Perique.
Upon the charring light, and subsequent light the flake expanded inside the bowl to fill it nicely. I wish all the blends would do that, it would make things much easier for us Noobs. The 4 bowls, 2 in each pipe burned very cool, with the bowls only getting slightly warm to the touch. The smokes required only a couple relights, tamps and burned to a nice ash with no dottle.
Now for the nitty gritty on the smoke itself. The first bowl had a clear spice/pepper taste although not very strong. Considering the blend has virginias in it, I found it not to have a sweetness to it, actually kinda dry. I was expecting some bite considering the burly but there was none to speak of. The smoke also seemed to have a woodie note to it and was slightly bitter to me. I think the blend is burly heavy as the woodie note was to the forefront most of the time.
Now what I found interesting was that the second bowl I had did not seem to have any Perique in it. I did not get the same spice taste at all and just the woody taste and that bowl did not change at all. Seems the mix is a little inconsistent which produced the different bowl smokes which I was not happy with. The smoke was mild in strength when the Perique was not there and maybe mild-medium when it was.
Overall, I would say the blend is mild in nature, not very complex and without the Perique, boring. I really am not into a lot of Vaper's at this point in my piping career and can't really say how this would age, possibly some potential there, but given a choice of cellaring this or Escudo and considering the price points are almost the same, Escudo is a hands down winner.
Now considering my review yesterday of the "English" blend, having tried both in two days, I can now appreciate the virginias and their sweetness in the "English" blend. Again given the choice of the "Mixture" or the "English," go with the "English."
Well there you have it, my take on this blend.
Side note: I should let you all know that I used a Chinese pipe for one bowl and now I know why they are cheap. The bottom of the bowl was filled with a marshmallow styrofoam like material which when holding the pipe I put my finger through and had to chuck the pipe and tobacco and start over again. Lesson learned.

I could easily mistake this one for a C&D VaBurPer. It has that same taste to me, like Poplar Camp or Haunted Bookshop, a dry mustiness in the mix. I didn't hate it, nor do I hate the C&D blends mentioned, but I was expecting more from a famous Danish pipemaker having put his name on it. It just tasted too American or something. Having become a fan of Former's tobaccos, another pipemaker's blends, I may have just been expecting something different. I won't be buying more, not because it was awful, but because there are just better blends out there.

Good review.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks guys, and dryseason91 your use of the word "underwhelming" is spot on. Again as a new piper and not knowing a whole lot about tastes and nuances, especially VA's, the Mixture just did not have it together so to speak. I wanted to like it, not a bad blend at all but when I was done the smokes, I said that was nice now off to have what I really want, Gaslight.

For a great, sweet, set of Virginias and VaPers, I recommend Former's blends. His Private Stock has a slight casing of apple juice that leaves a wonderful film on my teeth as if I had drank a warm cider earlier in the day. The other blends of his are quality VaPers that range from slightly sweet and spicy with a bread-like aroma to a peppery spicy, like Escudo. I loved that these were cheaper than most tobaccos and stand tow to toe with more renown blends. I didn't care for the names he gave the blends though. I "got" the pipe maker references, but he could have put more of a description on the tins.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zito, good review. It sounds to me like Eltang went for some complexity and subtlety and didn't entirely succeed.

The ingredients sound good, but from your description, it seems as if the flavors are kind of wandering around

without making much impression. Mild turns to bland. In some blends, burley doesn't bite me at all, although it

can be a polarizing leaf, and some love it and others hate it, or don't taste it. The disappearance of the Perique in

the second bowl is a real criticism. Thank you for a good rundown on this blend.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks for the review and the heads up on the blend. Had no idea it existed and probably the only Eltang I can ever afford. :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Considering the blend has virginias in it, I found it not to have a sweetness to it, actually kinda dry. I was expecting some bite considering the burly but there was none to speak of. The smoke also seemed to have a woodie note to it and was slightly bitter to me. I think the blend is burly heavy as the woodie note was to the forefront most of the time.
I haven't tried it yet, but this sounds pretty typical for a VA with burley added. In fact, it sounds right up my alley -- I love VAs with a touch of burley, especially if the result is more on the dry, woody side. Thanks for the great review.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
These tobaccos are blended by C&D, so that is what you are getting. Speaking of C&D, Zito, you may want to give Engine 99 a try.
Dave

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Smoking it right now. This one is actually very good! It reminds me of GLP Telegraph Hill, but with perhaps slightly fuller flavors. I would say very much worth trying.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.