PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I admit these pipes are esthetically pleasing to look at...but how well do they smoke?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
They have really interesting designs yea, I'd love a Tokutomi lovat. I assume though, when you buy a $1500 pipe, it better be a damn good smoker.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Let's open up the topic a little. How popular is pipe smoking in Asian countries like Japan? What types of tobaccos are popular?

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Pipe smoking is actually pretty popular in China and Japan. There are many collectors of high grade pipes in both countries. In fact, most of Bo Nordh's early production is in Japan currently.
In Japan, Japan Tabacco handles most of the country's pipe tobacco market. Mac Baren also sends a bunch over there (like the hard-to-get Momoyama blend).
Tokutomi pipes are fantastic smokers, by the way.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Kiseru are more of a 3-4 puff tobacco pipe, which use a shag cut tobacco.

Most are very collectable, with prominent pipes made by masters bringing top dollar.
here are a couple links about making a kiseru, and kizami tobacco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1x7N9o7KPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV_VBnRMBwU
Tom

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Those are just too odd shaped for me even if they weren't so expensive. Great talent though.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I wish I would have been a pipe smoker when I lived in Japan. I don't remember seeing a lot of pipe smoking but then again I wasn't in the mind set to look for it!

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been saving up a little here and a little there to eventually purchase one of his pipes. I think they are just beautiful pieces of art. Hopefully in a few months ill be able to pick one up, but Christmas is around the corner and that tends to lighten up my pockets; so maybe by February for my birthday.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
@Bubba: same here! I don't remember seeing any pipe smokers when living there but when I was back visiting for a couple of weeks right around when I started I looked up pipe stores and there are quite a few, both online and physical. Found one nearby and bought a cheap Tsuge e-star9 that's one of my most smoked pipes to date (it's the one I always bring with me when going out in case I want a smoke).
Just out of interest, why and where did you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.