PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
This haul is basically an acquisition based not solely upon need, but rather upon jealousy and lack of originality on my part.
First here is the pic:
0401-450x600.jpg

The first two items were me following brdavidson off of a cliff. I saw that 4 pipe combination pouch he picked up last week and thought that would be perfect for long weekend stays and while travelling. I also noticed that in his pic that he had a Brigham and I decided I wanted one too (after he told me how well his pipes smoked, of course). Here you see a Brigham Voyageur 1 dot. This is my first Brigham so I will let you all know how she smokes. I can tell you I like the way it feels in my hand. I really like the Rustic Egg shape and it looks just like the pic from the website.
The tobacco acquired is just from reading many of YOUR posts on what you like and how things smoke. I figured since I liked FM Cellar that I had to try On the Town, and I also felt that if I DIDN'T get the Escudo I would have been on some list some where. The My Mixture and Black Shag were also recommendations from you. I am thoroughly enjoying this new journey and the guidance I am getting from this site.
I will let you all know how the pipe smokes and the tobacco tastes once I pop them.
Dan

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thank you sir. I definitely look forward to hitting that pipe tonight and will probably try to break her in with Ol' Faithful FM Cellar :)
I planned on reaching out to you and Harris on how to work the Escudo, but I think I am going to let that sit a bit. I have 5 tins open now that are making their way around my rotation and still trying to figure out who smokes best with whom, if you know what I mean.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I am enjoying my Brigham Voyageur, tho nothing to compare to yet, I am surprised by the moisture collected in the filter. Interested to see how you like your Brigham.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Ugh - to be honest I didn't even know this was a filtered pipe until you posted that I checked. I wonder how it would smoke without the filter

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Wow you must live closer to P&C than myself. Still have yet to receive my order :crying: but kudos to you and happy smoking! I feel like checking my ups tracking again.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Dan, nice case you got there! :D As for the Brigham, it smokes fine with or without the filter. With aros I keep the filter in, for other types I take it out. The Escudo is something I absolutely love right now, I fold and stuff which is stupid simple and that seems to work for me.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It definitely keeps the moisture out of the smoke rothn, I've had the same 8pack of filters I bought with my first pipe 4months ago and at this rate those filters will last all year, they're also cheap to buy at about $3 up here. As for the coating, both my brighams have the best cake developed by far, and they don't burn hot even with the first smoke.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Dan let me know what you think of the Black Shag. I've had 5-6 bowls so far and its really growing on me. My recommendation is to pack a lot looser than normal as the ribbon cut is quite fine. Really nice, sweet smoke in particular in a cob.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I will. Is there anything in particular I need to do with that tobacco? Is it like a flake or plug, or do I just pack it and smoke it?

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Yaz- have you had that 965 yet? I would like to know what you think...I have a Beck's Ol' Limey, it doesn't get stunning reviews from people sitting around me but it tastes good.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Not yet Boz, but I think you were an influence on that Shag as well, but I am on my phone now so I am missing stuff :)
I will let you know when I pop it

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
Nice acquisition!!!
I have 3 Brighams. They are some of my best smoker. As for the filters I always rinse them and rotate them.
Enjoy!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
So here is the update on the Brigham. It is about 60 degrees already this morning so I thought some EMP and a nice strong coffee would be in order. BTW - I am sure my southern NJ/Philly people have had La Colombe coffee and if you can get it at a store near you - TRY IT. This coffee was MADE for the pipe/cigar smoker.
OK, back on track. Not sure how to describe this but I am going to say perfect storm. The tobacco and the coffee go so well together and the Brigham just loved the EMP as her first smoke. I removed the filter and took it easy. I had a charring light and then put her down. I did a 1st true light and probably go through the 1st third of the bowl but probably could have gone farther if I didn't have to take a call. I refired it up and it just burned great. I like the weight and feel of this pipe in my mouth.
Thanks to brdavidson for the recommendation. I am already on P&C planning my next $100 order and another Brigham (if they restock) will probably be on the order.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
No problem Dan! I'm looking at a Chinook right now, either the 426 which they call a pot or their bent Dublin (can't remember the shape code). My local B&M has all their Brigham's on sale so it's real tempting to head over and get one. The sale puts the price right on par with any of the online vendors and with no shipping its all gravy! We have to stop talking like this as we seem to be fueling each other's addictions!!! 8O

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah. Keep us posted on the tobaccos. Every one you got is on my list to try and I would love to hear your opinions on them!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brian you are right, we are enablers !!!!! :rofl:
If you can get one at the same price at your B&M then that is a score. You boost your cred with the store owner and the money you save on shipping will let you get a few ounces of bulk, some pipe cleaners, or maybe another pipe tool for that new pouch.
Quincy, I will definitely post on those new tobaccos. I am so tempted to pop the Black Shag due to Brian and Boz, but I currently have 5 tins open and don't want to get to the point where my stuff is drying out.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been extremely curious to try a Brigham. I had my eye on the Voyager series. At those prices(20% off at P&C) I don't think you can go wrong with a pipe for $47.99.
Luckily I can buy pipes at P&C without the ridiculous state tax as that only applies to tobacco.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Fitzy - I was thinking the same thing. I would like to get the Rhodesian when it gets in as well. I am in southern NJ and I ordered on Friday and got it on Monday. I'll take that all day long. Oh yeah, also FREE SHIPPING !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.