PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Well, a few of you here recommended I visit the Tinder Box in Tacoma. What a fantastic store. They are the only B&M in WA that that I have visited with actual knowledge of pipe smoking. They intimately know lighters, how to work on them and when I noticed a bench mounted buffer machine and a bunch of tools, I knew I was in the right place. So I went a bit crazy buying miscellaneous stuff....
1 Viking Bent Pipe

2 Missouri Meerschaums (Thanks to the post this AM by pipeastronomer)

1 very nice and heavy Vertigo lighter

2 no name disposable lighters but with great flame

1 Thing (I dont know what the cork thing is called for my ashtray)

3 bundles of pipe cleaners

1 Aluminum Tamper Tool w pick

2 Pipe holders

8 oz of Chartwell (basically Captain Black without the Poly Glycol I think)

4 oz of Strawberry Daiquiri (no laughing please, just going to try it)

8 oz of Hazelnut (McClelland's Nutty Hazel and he had no problem telling me that!!!!)

8 oz of Columbian Moche - which he suggested I mix with the Hazelnut

1 very big smile on my face :mrgreen:
TinderBox-1.jpg

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Excellent haul! that should subside you for a little while at least. Untill the urge to buy hits you again. Its a never ending battle, thats for sure.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks coalsmoke, I knew it must have a name other than "A Thing". Yes Roth, it feels great to walk away after having a great conversation with someone who is a true expert in their field. BTW, its been super suckie and rainy in Seattle... except today. We actually did have bright blue skies, though it was quite nippy out. Brrrrr.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
You missed the 1928 reserve. Just a great blend and the only one they carry in a tin. Being tinned by McClelland you would think they would put it out there to P&C, or SP to drive some Internet traffic their way. But I’m sure they’ve got their reasons. I received a sample and wanted to get a tin of two, but with no Tinderbox in the area it would be $24 for a tin. Not being something I would cellar and most of the blends aromatic and vague on the website. But from the sample sent I'd like a tin around and working that detail out.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
hey dragon, next time i head up, I'll PM you and see if you want me to pick up a tin or two for you.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When I was in there a few months back I felt like I was in a real pipe shop, and the guy was knowledgeable and friendly. Kind of the complete opposite of the guy in Lewiston, Idaho.
I hear ya, I am not ever going back to my normal B&M. I'd rather save my buying for a few trips a year to the Tinder Box. BTW for you that live in the People Republik of WA, they DO ship within the state. There is no legal issue with that whatsoever.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Nice haul there Zo. We definitely need to get together some day and have a smoke!!! Maybe I will try to make it down to the next SPC meeting

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Please let me know Bigboi - i am 2 for 2 so far. Would love to meet and have a good smoke.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
But not all Tinderbox B&Ms are the same, if you catch my drift.
Oh yes I do. I think that's true as a general rule that just become they carry a few pipes and a few tins doesn't mean they know jack about our world. That's certainly my experience of the B&Ms closest to where I live.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Grats Z.
I tried the 1928 a few months back. It's got this fig/prune taste to it. I haven't ever picked up another tin of it but at times I get a craving for that taste. It burned really well iirc.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great haul. I always make sure I have an extra knocker or two in stock, they are very handy in making sure you don't tap your pipe on the side of the ashtray.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Hahaha, sweet! Grats man. I wish I had a pipe shop anywhere nearby. The most Biddeford has is a cigar/cigarette/ryo shop. All they carry for pipe baccy is drugstore blends. I guess I COULD ask them to order things for me, but hell, son! I've got the internet.
And a deep seated irrational jealousy for people who live within driving distance of a good tobacconist or pipe club.
But really, grats on a solid haul. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.