PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I went in to the B&M today. I went to pick up a pouch of Carter Hall and a bag of BJ Long regular pipe cleaners. They had neither. One of the sales guys came over and talked pipe tobacco with me. That was the usual circle. Then he casually went to look for something real quick, and disappeared. The other store clerk came over to me. I spoke to him about the pipe cleaners and was directed to, "whatever's down there"? No regulars, only tapered; so I bought a pack. I talked to both guys about how I really want to support them as a pipe smoker, and how I used to get my Camel's there; when I was 15 years old when it was at the original location. I think that changed the vibe a little? The guys mentioned they have a new pipe guy, but that he wasn't there. They have a good selection of pipe tobaccos, but I just wanted some Carter Hall.
So to sum it up, neither sales guy had ever heard of Carter Hall. They then said that they don't carry OTC blends because you can get them anywhere, while standing in front of a shelf of SWRA, SWR, and Captain Black cans. I was told those were for someone special. I bought a pouch of Drum and a bag of BJ Longs tapered cleaners for $13 and some change. I'm not out of Carter Hall and will pick some up at the grocery store this week.
Carter Hall in a cob is an everyday smoke for me, usually mornings and evenings in a cob. I like it around and thought it would be a nice gesture to buy it from my local B&M. Man was I way out of line. I don't like being talked to in a weird condescending way. I may as well have been a bum off the street for asking them to carry Carter Hall, and that I wanted to buy it from them. It all led me back to when I was 15; the guy would always ask me (who by the way was there, but with someone else during my visit) if I was 18... I would say yes, he would shake his head, and give my 6'4 ass (probably 6'2 then) a pack of Camel filters... so I bought a pouch of RYO in honor of the store's owner and his true genuine kindness to me as a kid. I had one in the garage already, and wow; Drum isn't great, but they've done a nice job with the new packaging.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wish they sold Five Brothers in bulk.
Sorry to hear about this bad B&M experience. If you can find the owner, or manager, and become buddies, I bet you get better service. This in turn opens up the experience to other pipe smokers.

M

It's always better when the owner chimes into the conversations. He was hanging out last time I was there. He was there today, but he was talking with others. He's a good guy and I like him. His father was the original owner and I think he may have passed away? He was a class act gentleman, which is why I will always stop in to spend a little money from time to time. I just think it's funny that I can't go buy Carter Hall at my local B&M, and even more funny that the sales guys have never heard of it? That's good stuff. :lol:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For me, sometimes there can be "lost in translation" issues owing to a bit of a Southern accent. "Cotter Awl? Never heard of it, try the hardware store."
More likely, these employees are fronting that they have knowledge they do not. No salesman wins any awards for knowing nothing, but the experienced ones know "I'll find out" is a better answer than a creative fiction exercise.

M

You should have seen the second guy's reaction when I told him it was an over-the-counter blend. He pushed out a 'psffff' with his pursed lips, eyes rolled back. It was awesome. It was the same guy that didn't know what Balkan Sobraine was the last time I was there before selling me 4 tins at $11.99 a tin. He must have found something out, remembered me, and decided to belittle me a little. I like it. They have a new smoking lounge in the store, so I'm thinking the (cigar) club feel that's always been there has grown stronger and I'll need to work a little harder if I want to come in talking pipe stuff; especially OTC talk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mother, you may have to train these guys to be real tobacconists as they obviously are lacking in product knowledge. It may be worth your time doing it.
My local b/m Is Benningtons on St Armand Circle in Sarasota Florida. They have been there forever as the father owned it and ran it with his two sons, the old man passed and the sons are running it. The sons are good guys and unfortunately I rarely go in there anymore. Florida has an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, but not a dime on cigars. They used to have a great selection of pipe tobacco and now it is very small. A tin of SG Best Brown flake is 22.95, I can buy it on line for 9 bucks.
If the price was 12-5 at the store I would pay the extra. Now the only things I buy there is a lighter once in a while and Pipe and Tobacco magazine.I will have one of my IM Corona lighter cleaned up and have new seals in it every few years whether it needs it or not. I try to give him business but his pipe inventory is not something I would buy. I do buy the odd cigar from him once in a while. I really hate the Florida legislature for doing this to him. I grew up going to Peretti's, Ehrlich's and Leavitt & Peirce with my dad and when I got older I was a customer of all three. They were some of the oldest tobacconists in the world.
The guys at Peretti's could be pretty surly, customer service was not their forte. The guys at the other 2 were much nicer. Having great tobacco shops showed me what a good store should be like, Growing up in Boston was really a great thing for either a pipe smoker or a cigar guy.

M

I'd like to try and catch the new pipe guy they spoke of some time. I hope it's not just a guy that smokes a pipe, but a guy that may be trying to help them put more effort into the pipes side of the business. I should spend more time smoking my pipes there and hanging out a little, but the last time I did that; I felt like I needed to hurry up or something. The good news is that I don't need a B&M, which actually bums me out. I'd like to feel comfortable and welcome at the one I do have; but yes, much of it is on me for not spending more time there. It's just too easy not to go when you have your own home to smoke in with all the tobacco you could ever want. I think most people go to B&M's to smoke, but when you don't buy your supplies there... it's the squirrely eye.
Thanks for the Danzig @deathmetal! Maybe I need to go in next time listening to music as I shop?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Don't suppose you mentioned you were looking for Carter Hall to smoke in your cob did you? These guys sound like the kind that would immediately dismiss a cob smoker.
I guess it's a matter of time before a B&M like this one goes out of business, and you know they'll be bitching about how it was the taxes that did them in.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am thankful for cigars paying the bills, but wish there were more actual tobacconists where you could get anything tobacco-related. With enough people coming through, even pipes might pay the bills, although local taxes seem to be the real stumbling block there.

Mar 1, 2014
Last B&M I went to charged $6 for a dozen BJ Long Churchwarden pipe cleaners. Of course the idea of a "Canadian Tobaccanist" is almost an oxymoron, even if they were good businesses at one point in time, everything I've seen indicates they're just curiosity shops now.

Status
Not open for further replies.