Toby for helping someone give up coffin nail.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
My father in law is a life long cigarette smoker and he really needs to quit. He has tried many times but it's just who he is I guess. I thought maybe switching to the pipe may help him at least stop inhaling and take to our vice. That way he can at least get the nic and cut down the lung stuff. For those of you that made a successful switch, what are some good blends that cig smoker would be more apt to latching on too? I am guessing burley blends to start out with, but I am sure the knock out of something like C&D big and burley would be too much. Help a brotha out ;)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I made a semi successful switch, but I gave up cigarettes for a few years before starting on pipes, and now cigars as well. I do inhale though still, and I'm sure I'll always inhale, I don't get the satisfaction if I don't inhale. So I can't say that if someone switches from cigarettes to a pipe they aren't going to inhale. Maybe if you got really strong tobacco it would make it too unpleasant to inhale, like I find ropes are like that. Same with G&H dark flake.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
C&D's Old Joe Krantz helped me. Once I gave up the cigs I switched to C&D's Pegasus, a medium blend. Another blend that is more cigarette like, at least to me, is Peter Stokebye Amsterdam.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Well, I switched from cigarettes to pipes as Andy stated semi successfully. I don't inhale pipe smoke though. I find it strong and irritating for lungs. What I realized is after smoking aros, you don't want to smoke any cigarettes for a while because cigarettes taste bitter after an aromatic pipe tobacco. I smoke 2-3 cigarettes per day, and that's just because I don't have enough time for even a bowl of pipe.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I was mostly successful as well. As with Jvn, for me it's usually about time. A few a day, here and there when I don't have the time for a bowl.
That being said, I was a 2 pack a day smoker... so I will be content with the significant reduction and call it success. For me it was ODF that did it. Enough of a nic hit and deep enough flavor to wean me off the cancer sticks.
I think he would do well with anything that is on the heavier side with nic, has some body and fullness, but isn't too complex. The fact is, when getting away from cigarettes--at least for me--it was about nicotine delivery, not flavor.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Old Joe Krantz.
I quit dead cold (not a single cigarette) from my first pound of OJK. I kept a small cob loaded. When I wanted a smoke, I would take a couple, maybe three, puffs (not inhaling at all, ever). Now OJK is just another of my daily rotation...and I love it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Like some of the others, I was "somewhat" successful. Two things working against the pipe completely replacing cigarettes for me:
1. The pipe is not as efficient at delivering the levels of nicotine a cigarette smoker is used to, especially if you are avoiding inhaling.
2. The convenience factor of "popping out" for a quick cigarette to satisfy a nicotine craving is hard to overcome. They require none of the futzing and attention a pipe does.
Long story short for me: every time I smoke a pipe, that is one or more fewer cigarettes I smoke. I consider every cigarette I don't smoke to be an improvement.
EDIT: Sorry, forgot the tobacco recommendation! I would say a mellow burley blend. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Classic Burley Kake should do nicely.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When you say "latch on to" and "cigarette smoker" I think you must also impress upon the newbie that he's got to have a bit of patience to achieve nicotine 'normalization' and to learn his tobacco, tongue, and technique.

Codger blends have been around a long time for a reason. I suggest Sir Walter Raleigh for a couple of reasons.

1. easy loading

2. easy burning

3. moderate tobacco, enjoyable and with enough nicotine, especially since a cig smoker will still tend to smoke more bowls more rapidly...

Once he's got some skill...he's off to the races :puffy:

Being an ex-ciggy smoker myself. Please get him some strong blends. Greg Pease's Westminster, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, SG 1792 Flake. For flavor and taste, GLP's Six Pence, Meridian, Orlik Golden Sliced, Erinmore Flake. Let him have fun with the entire spectrum. The initial six months will have him consume a lot before coming down to a bowl or 2.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Peterson Irish Flake is another one that delivers a ton of nicotine, even when just puffed and not inhaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.