PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
Try to remer the house blends or smaller blenders from years gone by, adethey still out there..Cas in point,Uhle's from Milwaukee, WII have fond memories of "Bisops Move". Anybodyelse with smokey memories?

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
When I first started smoking a pipe, I was a Dunhill man. I quit for 2 years, and when I came back it was gone. The first Latakia blend I ever smoked was Standard Mixture. So, if I wanted something different, I bought a different blend of Dunhill.
Nightcap

My Mixture 965

London

Aperitif

Early Morning Pipe

Durbar

Elizabethan
I just hope they come back.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had my first tin of John Cotton's Smyrna blend back in the early 80's. It was something akin to ecstacy, with the exhilaration one feels upon having arrived at a destination after a long journey. Sublime.
I should've run out and bought a case!

:( It was gone before I could revisit it.

cobsandclays

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
I was (am) a fan of the piperoom.com's house blends when I want something that isn't to potent and is socially acceptable (they have great room notes). I had the foresight to order a pound of the Enchanted Forest, but I have hardly a pinch of "King Arthur" (formerly called something that the Tolkien estate took issue with, like "Gandalf's blend"). Now that they're all but out of business, and no one can ship to an individual in WA state anymore, I am enjoying other blends, only smoking EF occasionally, knowing one day there will be no more....

Now I'm sad... :|

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
An old mixture I have recently tried is Mixture #79 my Grandfather smoked it solely.

One of the reasons I started the pipe. I'm sure it's not for everyone very perfumey and rosey tasting nothing like the popular tobaccos I've tried. Personally I like it but I'm partial to aromatics so I liked all the "taste" it had.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Cortezattic said>>"I should've run out and bought a case!

:( It was gone before I could revisit it" I have been there before.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Bishop's Move is good stuff, Golden Shag too.
Some of their Blends are really nice....I had Blend 44 earlier today.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So I take it that $102 was too much for you, hobie? LOL! Wow! $102! I would've never thought it would go for that much! Makes me wish I had a can to sell...
-Jason

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sutliff and Altaldis have "matches " for a lot of these older drug store blends. A whole lot better that smoking mummy dust.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
bubba: please do, I am down to rehydrate! Also, send me a PM about how much I owe you to get all of it! :D

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Don't temp me bro, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on another $100 order from P&C :)

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
I miss the old "Field and Stream". yes, there is a very good copy out there but to be totally honest, part of my love of field and stream

was the packaging. Alot of those old drugstore tobaccos had really nice artwork. Plus, just as important is the memories that the artwork evokes.
fs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.