PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surenot

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
I have just started on this pipe journey a few months back and have been unable to find any information as to why tobacco (blends) from asia, africa, the middle east etc. are not readily available? I understand the Tobaccos come from various sources around the world just didn't understand why the blends were limited to certain regions.

May 4, 2015
Speculation on my part, but probably because pipe smoking is less popular in those regions not in the "Western World". They certainly grow and export plenty of tobacco, but the majority of it is for cigarettes.
I'm sure there are plenty of over-the-counter blends out there in various parts of the world, but marketing, exporting, and distributing them on a global scale is probably fairly impractical.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think pipesmokington is probably right on the money. Pipe smoking as we know it is a North American and European custom, originally.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I always suspected that there were probably a lot more pipe smokers in lesser known parts of the world, that we just never hear about, possibly smoking their own homegrown leaf, maybe in pipes that they have carved themselves.

I know of 5 other guys just in my small hometown, that only own 1 or 2 old pipes that they smoke daily and buy the same pouch brands of tobacco (that they have smoked for years) at the store every few days.

surenot

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
All excellent points. I believe I will seek some out. I have some friends scattered around overseas. I'll see what they can find.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Disclaimer, I know nothing. I conjecture that there are more tobaccos from far reaching parts of the world in blends than we realize because many of the tobaccos are varieties we identify as Virginia or burley, even though they may be grown in Africa or South America. Since the soils, climates, and seed stock are different, the tobaccos are, or become, different over time. As you read a lot of descriptions of the various blends online, you do run into blends where the geographical sources are identified, and they are various.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Virginias are grown all over the world. So if you think that all Virginia tobaccos are grown in Virginia, you're overdue to get your cherry popped. Pretty much everything is grown all over the world. I like the African Virginias that go into HU blends and the Malawi burley that they use.
There are any number of reasons why certain blends are restricted to sales in limited areas, regulations involving ingredients, copyright limitations, distribution limitations, production limitations, marketing decisions, etc. When I worked in the Jewelry business it used to frustrate me that the American Omega Watch line was much clunkier looking than the models sold in Europe. We couldn't order the European models because distribution and sales were restricted to Europe. The reason was that some models were designed for "American" taste and others for "European" taste, based on marketing "research".
Whatever the "reason" ultimately it's about profitability. The bottom line is always is the bottom line.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
SableBrush,Yep OI think this you found is the main reason,

Btw, befeoredays(Obviously,with more money to spent) I was into those classic men watches, nothing left but an unused Eterna Matic Kontiki model and Atlantic Worldmaster Automatic wind, which Is btw pretty nice watch for the price, observing prices went skyrocketing for old mechanical brand name watches lately)

surenot

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
I am deeply in love with English blends currently and with countless known offerings ill always have something enjoyable to smoke for years to come. I believe my interest in foreign tobaccos is 50% curiosity of taste and 50% adding a tin to my collection. My craft beer bottle collection is 232 bottles strong so I imagine my tobacco tin collection will be equally insane. They will make for one hell of a decor in my smoking room. Now I just need the smoking room.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Hell, we can't even buy pipe blends from our neighbour countrys like France, Belgium or Netherlands...it's possible to import"
So much for EU legislation. I'm so glad we are leaving this group of criminal, money grabbing protectionists.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My Dear British Gentlemen,I can't but agree with your statement

and definitely I do agree with our German young gentleman,Mr Deniz, yes is truly ennoying fact that EU countries are not importing national blends in betwen, but what surpriced me ,is that german resident may face custom taxes if he is buying

(online,I suppose) from negborhood Belgium or Netherland-Holland,its very strange since to my knowledge the EU Market is supposed to be a free market zone as they call it,

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
I think there are some misunderstandings here...

@deniz you say you have to pay custom duties if you buy tobacco from France or Netherlands...there is no border between these countries and Germany (Schengen area) so you can bring as much tobacco as you like for personal use. Don't know exactly if you can order it over internet, but I did order from Germany (I live in Romania) and didn't have to pay any taxes
@mawnansmiff careful what you wish for...right now you can go to Germany and get 180g tins of pipe tobacco for 14eur (made by Von Eicken, quite good). Most if not all popular tobacco brands like Peterson, Rattray's and others are at least 50% cheaper in Eu vs UK. Depending on how Brexit turns out, worst case scenario UK will become a basket case like Australia and you'll pay 50euros for 50g of tobacco.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mr Deniz, I'am always at your disponible,call me any time.

Dear Mr Pipeman84; are you kindding some way, can't believe that 50gr amount of quality pipe tobacco, costs 50euro/55 Usd in Australia, something absurde,

Best Greets, Paul

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Dear Mr paulie66scandinavian, unfortunately for our pipe brothers down under, that's the grim reality.

For instance, a tin of Peterson Old Dublin for which I paid 11eur in Germany, costs A$67 (~47eur)

https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/products/tobacco/pipe-tobacco/?filter_product_brand=66

Status
Not open for further replies.