Tobaccos for the Newbie to Avoid Tongue Bite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to pipe smoking (and smoking in general) so I have very little knowledge when it comes to selecting tobaccos. I do know, however, that because of the sensitivity of my oral tissues, I want to avoid tongue bite as much as possible. I know I likely won't be able to avoid it completely but I certainly want to minimize it.
I've heard many conflicting thoughts on this subject and I understand that it is dependent on individual body chemistry, but if there are a few tobaccos (specific brands, blends, makes, etc.) that seem to be easy on the palate and have few incidences of bite, I would really appreciate hearing about them.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful brotherhood of the briar.
Well first things first there's styles. Aromatics typically will burn hotter and have a better chance of giving tongue bite, especially for beginners. English/Latakia blends will be cooler than aromatics, but they have a completely different taste. Definitely reccommend giving each style a try at first. Pick up a sampler of an aromatic, an English/Latakia, and a Perique blend.
As far as blends I smoke that I would think to be good for beginners I'd reccommend Lane's Limited 1Q, any of the 7 Seas line from Mac Baren, and either Connoisseur's Choice or Sunset Breeze by Peterson. For aromatics they tend to smoke fairly cool and don't irritate the mouth quite so much, plus their flavor transfer from tin note to smoke is pretty good. Also they all take a light well and burn evenly with little need for relights, provided you remember to tamp the ash down periodically.
Also I think it's wise to suggest checking out bulk blends. A lot of sites have popular blends in bulk that you can order just an ounce or two for under $5. It's a great way to sample a blend without spending $10-$15 on a tin.
Good luck in your search and enjoy your pipes and the forum.

Jul 15, 2011
This is one of those things that is going to be different for each person. There really is no such thing as a universally cool smoking pipe tobacco that is "guaranteed" to not cause tongue bite. Some guys on here love the taste of MacBarens Dark Twist and get no tongue bite from it at all. But with me, no matter how slow I smoke or how loose I pack, it feels like smoking flamethrower fuel. You will have to experiment and see what you can handle and what you can't handle. Some of the least tongue biting tobaccos that I have run across are Lane 1Q, Altadis Vanilla Custard, and the MacBaren 7 Seas line, particularly the Red and the Royal. You could start there, but it is probably going to be a trial and error process. There are also some other factors to consider to avoid/cure tongue bite: Use alcohol free mouthwash. Biotene Mouth Spray 15 minutes before a smoke will greatly help. Also, in the event you do get a little tongue scorch, try rinsing for 60 seconds with some aloe vera juice. Sounds weird but it works wonders. Hope this helps!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
try rinsing for 60 seconds with some aloe vera juice. Sounds weird but it works wonders. Hope this helps!

Some mouthwashes, including Biotene, contain Aloe Vera.
I have found that smoking technique is more important the the type of tobacco. Try several types of tobacco, but pack somewhat loosely, and draw ever so gently. Easy does it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya agreed to all mate. I think you will have to take the wonderfull journey that we all partake in. Buying, trading, sampling etc., untill you find that Holy Grail, that many of us have not, as of yet found. However, the journey is awsome fun. If you are sensitive, as I am, you will probably have to avoid many VA's. I found the Frog Morton Series a great starter on the English Blends. MacBarens Original Choice is a good way to start your Aro's, as is MacBarens Royal. Many like Capt. Black White but I find it too "Wet" for a beginner. A nice mild Burly, such as Butternut Burley is also a good way to start. Non of these should bother your tounge or mouth too badly.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
As has been mentioned, it's an individual thing. Try some burleys - they are low in sugars, which can lead to tongue bite. The "American Classics" - Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh - are all worth exploring. You can pick up a pouch of each of those at P&C for about $10 total, as opposed to $10 a tin for nicer aros.
I personally have no idea why folks suggest aros to beginners, except that they smell pretty and can have lots of sweet tastes.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
For a lot of new pipe smokers, tongue bite isn't necessarily the issue but tongue burn is. Honestly, since I learned to smoke a pipe without puffing too hard, packing to tight, and relighting every two minutes, I don't know that I have ever experienced much tongue bite. Also, I've found that smoking just once a day (maybe twice on the weekends)and really enjoying that bowl instead of rushing through tobacco has helped as well.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Good advice all around, but I'd like to add this: If you do decide to go old school with the OTC's like Jud suggested, do yourself a favor and get a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe to smoke your Prince Albert or Carter Hall in. Nothing is better than those two in a cob!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Jud and I agree on quite a lot but not when it comes to drugstore tobaccos. I think they're low quality, chemical infused DRECK! and Jud has the opposite opinion which is frankly just plain WRONG.
But he's 100% right when he questions WHY people recommend aromatics to rookies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The best way to avoid tongue bite and other problems is to follow the advice my Dad gave me back in 1959 when I started pipe smoking. I have never had tongue bite, nor hot or sour pipes in all these years. You need to do them all to have complete success.
The Vernon Cool & Dry Method
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack looser than you think you need to.

Smoke slower than you think you need to.

Tamp less, and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
the opposite opinion which is frankly just plain WRONG.
No, it's an opinion. I realize you are completely opposed to codger burleys. I don't think there's anything wrong with 'em.

I don't like the drugstore aros. I think those are crap. And I wouldn't touch stuff like Smoker's Pride, etc. But I think codger burleys, especially smoked in a cob, can be a worthy addition to the rotation - and maybe a good place for a beginning smoker to start out.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Altadis Black cordial. It's an aromatic, but you can smoke it straight out of the pouch with no dry time, and you don't have to worry about tongue bite. Easy on the wallet too, as it comes in bulk. Good luck and happy puffing! :puffy:
-Jim

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well I'd reccommend aromatics to someone who has never smoked cigarettes or cigars before. I think the English/Latakia blends are too full bodied if you haven't smoked cigarettes or cigars before. But I have heard a lot of converts from the nails and cigars are quickly drawn to the stout English/Latakia blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I agree on lat blends - they are too complex for new smokers. Likewise, Virginias are too subtle. But I'd go old school for codger burleys before aros, especially if the smoker doesn't have too much cash to devote to the hobby. If you are gonna drop $5 on tobacco, a codger burley is a better bet then, say, Borkum Riff, IMO.
Now, of course, if you have more money to spend, go for something better. I started in college,though,like a lot of fellas here seem to be doing, and extra money was hard to come by. I started with what would probably be a $15 investment, now - it was a lot less then. I never tried MacBaren blends when I was buying at the drugstore, because I couldn't see spending the extra money for the big tin.(I'll bet the stuff I smoked was $.35 - $.50 a pouch, compared to probably $.75 for MacB. And when you are making $1.70 an hour in the dorm cafeteria, that $.25-$.40 was a big difference.)

Status
Not open for further replies.