PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbladder

Lurker
Jun 7, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm new to cellaring tobaccos and i need some recommendations on tobaccos to sit in my cellar. From past forums, i understand that virginia blends benefited most in the aging process and i need some helpful input from you guys. Maybe Top 5 tobaccos of your choice for the cellar..please include the brand and name of tobaccos as well. Many thanks. Greetings from South East Asia.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You're in Southeast Asia - what's available down there? No point in recommending blends that you can't find locally, or from somebody that will ship there. MacBaren blends are fairly widely available, I understand.

:puffy:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
So: Do you really want to cellar blends you've never tried? That you may not even like? Or are you primarily interested in reselling these at some point down the road?
My first suggestion would be to cellar those blends that you most enjoy smoking, regardless of their "aging" properties. I'm cellaring blends that I actually think taste better when they're fresh, simply so I'll be assured of having those blends around, say, 20 years from now.
As for Virginias, my personal list includes:
Dunhill Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Rattray Old Gowrie

Rattray Hal o' the Wynd

Rattray Jocks Mixture

McClelland Anniversary
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree with Bob, cellar what you like!

But just for reference, here's the top five in my cellar;
In tins;
Orlik Golden Sliced

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

McClelland Blue Mountain

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Mac Baren Highland
Bulk;
Hearth & Home Mazatec

Hearth & Home Black House

Scotty's Butternut Burley

Lane Limited 1Q

Lane Limited BLWB

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Here is my current cellaring list:
Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Gawith St. James Flake

Anything from Germain

Freibourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
As others said, you should probably try a tin before you buy a bunch to cellar. If you want to flip aged tins, definitely focus on high quality, short supply items.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If you want to flip aged tins, definitely focus on high quality, short supply items.
Alternately, one could just get the out of the hobby if what one really wants to do is make a profit from it.
I'm going to mention GL Pease Union Square. Not sure about distribution down there, but it ages really nicely.

fishbladder

Lurker
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks for the advice fellow pipers. For your info there are shops here in Singapore and nearby Malaysia that carries international tobaccos such as Peterson, Dunhill, Rattray and a few more others. I'm really digging into cellaring Dunhill deluxe navy rolls and Rattray Red rapparee.

Status
Not open for further replies.