PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rapskar

Lurker
Apr 20, 2017
Hello, first of all thank you to the veterans that take time to answer questions to newbies like me. I have already found a lot of useful tips here, although the amount of information is kind of overwhelming.
I started smoking pipe a few months ago and now that I'm more familiar with the packing and pace of smoking I'm enjoying the pipes much more, so I decided to explore the different tobacco options out there. I'm thinking on making an order to 4noggings of four tins and I would like to know which tobaccos do you recommend for a new smoker. I don't smoke a lot so these four tins will last for long and I want to make them count.
So what I'm looking for are those signature tobaccos that every pipe lover should know from diffferent styles. If possible I would like them to be different enough so even a complete beguiner like me could taste the difference, something like this:
- A light and smooth Cavendish.

- A sthong Burley.

- A mild English.

- A sweet aromatic (because everyone likes a candy every once in a while)
I know that it's imposible to become a tobacco connoisseur with just four tins, but we all have to start at some point.
Thanks in advance for your help!

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Lane - maduro cavendish or McClellans Vanilla black Cavendish
Pattons Storm Front (Burly with just a little cigar leaf) or Prince Albert
Frog Morton Cellar or Presbyterian
Autumn Evening (great red virginia with a maple topping), Lane RLP-6

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Peter Stokkebye - B&B

Tabac Manil - Semois

McClelland - Blue Mountain

Rattray's - Bagpiper's Dream

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As for Burleys, You can't go wrong with these following basic mild to medium strong burleys,moreover they moderate priced and are pretty satisfying taste-wise,Mc Baren Golden Extra, Symphony yet this Amphora Original Brown,Belgian Semois is a great stuff,nevertheless should I point out,it may need some experience to be enjoyed fully,

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Since your buying from 4Noggins, you may want to check out their sampler offerings. Give Rich a call and he'll be more then happy to help you with your selection.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Ray +1

I completely missed the 4noggins order req. But I think most of my suggestions are sold by Rich. I might add Autumn evening into the mix or bald headed teacher. And they have a EMP match.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Since you are going to order from 4Noggins, be sure to try some Bald Headed Teacher.

rapskar

Lurker
Apr 20, 2017
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've checked some reviews and they all look great!
I'm going to order from 4noggins because I've read that they are reliable, with experience with shipments to Canada and a great customer service. What I wasn't expecting is that they would take the time to help annoying inexperienced customers, I will definitely contact them before ordering.
I'm excited like a kid in a toy store haha.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I ask this because the topic comes up often, but if you decided to drink/buy wine and walked into a wine shop and said "I've never had wine before. What's good?"... what is "good" is good regardless of how much wine you've had... right? Good wine is good wine is good wine. I might say that smoking requires a certain skill set and certain tobaccos lend themselves to beginners, but ask a sommelier and they'll tell you drinking wine correctly involves a skill set also. My point is buy whatever sounds good because there is no such thing as beginner tobacco :)

Jun 27, 2016
You should consider buying straight/blending tobaccos and smoking them straight, & blending them together, in addition to trying blended tobaccos. For me that has been a good way to find out about tobaccos. Back in the day when I first started with a pipe I had ounce bags of bulk Cavendish, Perique, a bunch of Burleys, Cyprian Latakia, and a few VAs, all McClelland bulk. I also had some of their blended blends too. More recently it has been various companies straight Orientals and Latakias, and most recently I have new straight VAs on deck to start going through.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I wish I had approached it as BalkisBrains suggests above. Nate is correct. All of our opinions are going to be good for some of us but not necessarily for you. By the suggested blends in 1 ounce ants only. Know you are going to find things you do not like.

rapskar

Lurker
Apr 20, 2017
I didn't know they sold straight tobaccos so you could play with the blendings, that sounds like a lot of fun. I think I will try some commercial blends first so I know how a good blend should be and then experiment myself.
I'm aware I will don't like all tobaccos equally and that's what I want from this first try, start finding my niche as a pipe smoker.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I began by finding one I liked. I'd look at tobaccoreviews and read the reviews on that blend, find someone who's opinion/description matched my own. I'd then follow their path. It's a matter of shared opinions. This has worked very well for me.

Dec 28, 2015
I don't like cavendish so cant help you there.

For strong burley - semois or haunted bookshop

Light English - definitely dunhill early morning pipe (or Presbyterian)

I have never found a aromatic that tasted good. They smell great so if you retrohale you get a little good out of it. But others seem to like them so maybe it's me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't buy anything in quantity, even if you like it a lot. An ounce or two of anything will do. Your tastes will change. If you don't like it, jar it and keep it; again, your tastes will change. I'd wait until you've been smoking for about a year before buying 4 ounces of anything, or two tins. I repeat myself, but I think it's good advice.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I've been doing what mso says, just buy an ounce of whatever you think sounds interesting. You can end up wit 6 or 7 different types of tobacco and only pay $20 to $35

Status
Not open for further replies.