PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
It's about bloody time the tobacco industry came up with a winning argument against some of the tobacco regulations --- I'm just surprised this hasn't been used before!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/12/opinion/greene-cigarettes/index.html

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Im pretty sure that was always their argument against that whole picture thing, just no one took it seriously

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good article doctorthoss, good find.
I am curious about something for years; not to get off topic but it is along a similiar line.
If tobacco smoke is bad for you and kills, and there are warnings on packaging etc. bla bla bla...

Why aren't there similiar lables and warnings on liquor??? As we all know, excessive alochol comsumption is dangerous as well.

Can anyone clear that up???

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I agree with you nsfisher. Alcohol is harmful as well, yet it isn't in the spotlight. Think of all the deaths from alcohol that aren't health related. Like a kid getting hit by a drunk driver, or a guy getting wasted and killing someone. Tobacco doesn't do that

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Hypothetical situation ... and please don't over analyze it.
Cigarettes cost $100 a pack. for whatever reason, taxes, cigarette companies go crazy.
Do you think that even 10% of cigarette smokers out there would actually take the time to roll their own cigarettes, just because it's cheaper?
How many cigarette smokers would quit? Would they quit because of the money, or would they quit because all of a sudden, they can only roll cigarettes from mail order tobacco and it's just too much bother?
I don't say this about every cigarette smoker, it certainly isn't the case for everyone. But I think for 90% of cigarette smokers, it's a quick fix nicotine addiction that they are only half-willing to actually do.
I didn't quit because of the money, even when I was spending $90 a month on cigarettes. I quit because I'd get half way through the thing, look at it, and say to myself "I don't even like this."

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I didn't quit because of the money, even when I was spending $90 a month on cigarettes. I quit because I'd get half way through the thing, look at it, and say to myself "I don't even like this."
Very true. I gave up cigs completely about a yr ago. A package of 25 cost $10.70 here in Nova Scotia. I smoked 1.5- 2 packs per day, roughly about $450.00 per month!!!!! It now costs me around $60.00- $75.00 per month to buy my tobacco online. That is quite a difference. I didn't realize the savings then but the difference is I enjoy the pipe but I needed the cigs.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Come on the alcohol argument is like a kid in school getting busted for smoking, then ratting out all his friends so he wasnt the only one in detention.

If you dont agree with ridiculous labels on tobacco, why would you argue it should be on liquor too ?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
lonestar:
I'm not argeing it mate, I guess I am just curious. I don't drink so it's no matter to me, I just wonder our Governments pick on one product and not the other.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I know what you mean. I'd still hate to see alchol or anything else deemed "unhealthy" to wind up being treated the way tobacco has been. Its a personal choice, you can use it, you can abuse it, but it should remain your choice.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
We in Australia have had those pics (and much worse) on every single one our tobacco products for ages and ages - doesn't make one iota of difference. People here quit because of the price and price alone ie. $20 a pack of cigarettes, $40 an ounce of Borkum Riff, and $15 for a tin of 10 x Cafe Cremes (of which I smoke 2 tins a day so $30 per day).
Pretty soon we'll have drab olive green plain packaging with bright red diseased lungs and black gangrenous toes, hmmm I can hardly wait, the suspense is killing us all.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The First Amendment arguments are quite interesting and, to my mind, rather compelling.
It will be interesting to follow this and see where it goes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
If you dont agree with ridiculous labels on tobacco, why would you argue it should be on liquor too ?

I don't think either should have it. I just don't get why only one has it. If they slapped a picture of a diseased liver on a fifth of booze, it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Very interesting. I can't stand pampered society's. Once you are 18, you are well old enough to make your own decision. Pictures are ridiculous and another waste of money.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
My father was a WW 2 combat veteran; he fought throughout the Pacific and made it all the way to Japan, passing through Nagasaki as part of the "occupation".

Throughout the WAR (my emphasis), he, a non-smoker, was forced to suck in second-hand smoke from all those smoking around him. Shocking - don't ya think?
Did he die of lung cancer? NO!
He died from the chemicals in the commercial pottery he produced long after he came home, after he got married and started a family.
I'm 57 now. No one in my immediate family on both sides has died of lung cancer since I've been around, and that includes more than a few cigarette smokers. I've never been a cig smoker, can't stand 'em. It's only been pipes and cigars for me.

I'm just sick of being lectured!

Sorry if I rant, it's done. Cheers and peace to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.