PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Hmm . . . I don't care about this change but thought it was mildly interesting for those that do reviews on the site:
Probably the most common complaint we've heard since this site was rebuilt has been in regard to the voting system, with which users have voted either Yes or No to the question, "Was this review helpful to you?" Unfortunately, some users evidently voted according to whether or not they agreed with the individual assessments rather than in relation to the quality of the reviews. Until recently, it wasn't an egregious problem, but in the last few weeks our voting logs have indicated something more troubling: a handful of users have been mounting obvious down vote attacks on specific individuals. We have more than 15,000 registered users on this site and it's a credit to our community that only 2 or 3 people decided to inappropriately play the voting system. Still, something needed to change.
As of today you will note that down voting has been disabled. All down votes have been purged from the system. Sorting reviews by helpfulness is still an option because up voting remains and users may still provide positive reinforcement for good reviews by voting positively. It is our hope that this alteration will improve the site and the TobaccoReviews.com experience for everyone.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
What? Another childish antic on the World Wide Web? Impossible!
All kidding aside, I think they made a good call on that issue.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I don't have an opinion on the voting of if helpful/unhelpful, because I never refer to the statistic. I love the TobaccoReviews site, and consult it often while I am smoking a blend of tobacco or as I consider trying a new blend. It is easy enough for me to figure out which reviews are helpful or not.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
All down votes have been purged from the system.
image.png

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I never used the feature when I was a registered user and although I don't use the site as an end all, be all, I'm glad it's there for all of us to access. Shame there's always someone trying to upset the apple cart.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I never used the feature. I do wish you could sort by the number of reviews the reviewers have done. I look for reviews from very experienced smokers.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I think some reviews are just terrible, ive down voted before. "let me start of by saying i only smoke aromatics and i hate all other blends. boy was that the case when I tried Nightcap. there was a terrible campfire smell when I opened the tin". thats a bit of a stretch but you get my point.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Natibo: you can click on "users" and type in a reviewer's name and see everything that person has reviewed.

I barely ever actually read the reviews. I usually just want to skim to see what leaf is present in the blend, how strong it is, etc. Most just seem like parrots copying the next guy with boring self-important gibberish that tells me no more than the blender's quib in the description. But, I do enjoy some of the more entertaining reviews. It kills me how many people lack enough imagination to at least make a review interesting. But, some really brighten my day. Most just seem to take the cob stuck in their bums way too seriously, and the worst are the people who just post a bunch of ranking numbers, like that's going to mean anything to me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Not so bad as a VP blend. Smooth somehow bored. Can't taste Latakia, only slight hint. Very smoky. Left gunky things in the bowl. Highly casing of sugar?
Pipe Used: Ashton Pebble Grain
Age When Smoked: 45
Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com
Similar Blends: Orlik's Golden Sliced.
facepalm.gif

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.