PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
So you got some new, never tried before tobacco. You open the bag or tin with great expectation only to be confronted with a strange or repulsive smell. Despite that, you try it anyway and to your delight... you have just found your "new friend"
So what tobacco surprised you the most.?
For me I have two:
MacBaren's: Bronze Cube - The smell in the bag was the strangest pipe tobacco I even encountered. But it's a wonderful smoke. The room notes of the smoke is wonderful, deep chocolate. Most people would love it, but my wife does not like it. Too sweet for her. She prefers earthy stuff.
Drew Estates: Meat Pie - This is one of the nastiest in the tin smelling English out there (at least that was my initial reaction - I love it now) But again, the smoke is one of my favorite English. AND my wife loves the room notes.
What's your stories??

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've had meat pie and black frigate makes meat pie seem like my,grandmas little dog, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's a cat or a dog... :)

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I think for me it was frog Morton night on the town. Interesting tin. It's completely different smoke. I really enjoy it now.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I won a tin of C&D's 5 o'clock Shadow back in July and I wasn't sure I'd like it after a few bowls, but I endured thru the entire tin and now I love it. Plan to order a few more tins. I wish it came in bulk.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Anything Lakeland. Especially Ennerdale. I read so many reviews about the soapy grandma's perfume comments. Then I finally broke down and tried it. Absolutely love the stuff!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tabac Manil Le Bremeuse: the hipsters at the New York Times and I usually disagree, but this time, we were in accord. Thanks to aggravatedfarmer who sent a care package.
Dunhill Nightcap: I thought it was going to taste like those terrible tobaccos of old, but it ended up being an instant love.
Dunhill Royal Yacht: at first I really disliked this, then the topping evaporated and its plummy delicious goodness woke me up to its beauty.
Peterson Irish Flake / Rattray's - Stirling Flake: I assumed these would be disgusting licorice aros. Wrong a million times!
Peterson Irish Oak: I feared this might be a St. Paddy's Day in Times Square type of experience, and was worried about the sherry contamination, but ended up thinking highly of this one.
Esoterica Penzance: Just kidding.
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz: People described this to me like it was death in rough cut form. It ended up being one of my favorite all-day smokes.
Five Brothers Five Brothers: Again the gloom and doom scare me a bit. After awhile, I discovered it's one of the most relaxing smokes out there.
For the rest, hit up my TR page. Some cool finds and Orlik Golden Sliced hatred, for the low price of your time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate (again I must apologize for all the people I have corrupted with this one). :mrgreen: The tin note was rather strange upon first smelling it. Smoked quite heavenly, and love opening the jar just to smell it!
Black Twist XX was a bit unnerving just because of horror stories of how strong it is. Had someone tell me that after smoking it, their pipe smelled like an electrical fire! Tried it myself, and love it. Tastes like char broiled steak!

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
La Brumeuse, got some from sheer curiosity because of that New York Times piece, liked it from the first puff.

Mar 1, 2014
Hearth and Home Black House, because I normally avoid Kentucky, but this blend is just so pleasant in every other way that the earthiness wasn't detrimental.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The smell of hot ketchup from the 32oz of McClellands Va/Per was nauseating. One of the all time great tobaccos taste wise.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Royal Yacht...I didn't like the tin note, the price, and my buddies who seem to know my palate told me it was gross...I smoke this more than the rest of my tobaccos combined and the tins probably make up 1/5 of my cellar

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I can agree to those with stories about the malodorous Ennerdale, Condor, and others, but the biggest 'hurdle' for me was my introduction to Latakia. Everything follows from that, for me.

I'd tried some nice quality blends to that point, but none with Latakia.

I took the plunge and ordered a Newminster bulk. (#52) and was blown away by the smell when I opened the box it came in and still wrapped in its bag!

Since then I've learned that the varieties of Latakia blends are among some of the tastiest and cool burning tobaccos there are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was a nearly life-long Granger smoker. I smoked a pipe for a long time before I tried some in the presence of the owner of my local independent pipe shop, who happens to have a now-grown son. When I puffed for a while and then quietly reflected that sometimes your dad was right about things, he got a hearty laugh.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Wow - 18 replies. I'm quite happy. Plus I have a list of new baccy's to try. Funny, this year started out and I thought that I would concentrate on getting some pipes as I felt I had enough varieties of tobaccos. Then I posted a question about American Blends and a question about Virginia. That started me down the path of buying more blends to try. Now, this post! I can see I'll be buy tobacco for a while before I focus on pipes.
This is a fun and addicting hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.