PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I have purchased a few blends recently trying to find something I like, actually a smell from the past. Now I have a Vanilla blend(1oz), Hearth and Home Caramel Apple pie(1oz) and a full pouch of Half and Half. Wondering if anyone wants to trade. I figure it's a good way to try different baccy's without spending cash on a chance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
madtohkin, two aromatics and Half and Half don't seem to be much inducement to swap, but you have wisely bought in small quantities and learned what you don't like, on that score. You might want to try some other bulk tobaccos, old standards like Lane's 1-Q and Carter Hall. Read some in tobaccoreviews.com, aromatic and non-aromatic, and see what sounds more to your liking. Even if you find a blend you like, keep the quantities small for now, while you are still learning. Welcome aboard.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
I mentioned if someone wanted to try them, more than likely someone new to pipes. A couple bowls swap. If someone wants the half and half I would trade a couple bowls for the whole pouch. The wife wasn't a fan of the room note I wasn't a big fan either.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Sorry, I'm no help. One I don't have the post count nor the time in service on this forum for a trade.

Vanilla, Carmel Apple, and Half&Half should all be pleasant in the room note category. Once you get into English Style (Latakia) and Virginia or Burley based blends they tend to be in my opinion more smokey, some have commented 'cigarette' like.
As a big fan of Aromatics myself, my advice would be to try to enjoy them. I find Aromatics to be very enjoyable, especially if you dry them out completely then really slow down your cadence and sip at them. Let the smoke slip from your mouth and play under your nose. I enjoy the fragrant topping and the mix of sweet smoke.
I think it helps that I am a Snuffer and in using snuff your 'flavor' is actually the smell it creates.

When I started the pipe years ago, I belonged to a now defunct forum and I like most started with Aros and most of the forum guys didn't like aros so I began to dislike them. Then I learned pipe smoking is something that is "for my benefit" and I stopped worrying about what other guys liked and it has opened up the pleasure I receive in our hobby immensely.
By no means am I saying any of this applies to you, I can only speak for myself. I wish you much luck. Try mixing your Carmel Apple with the Half & Half. Start at a 50 - 50 ratio and mix a couple bowls full. You may find that the smoky of the H&H adds a pleasurable twist to the Aros.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
Just bought some Lane 1Q and Lane Very Cherry Sutliff Vanilla Custard and Peter Stokkebye 52 Proper English. You're definitely right about the technique for smoking aro's found that out about a week ago and I'm enjoying the smoke much more. Also let me know if you want the half and half. Too much like cigarettes for my liking.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have tossed a good amount of aro's in the fire over the years. I can hear some of the guys out there saying " you should have tossed them all" :D Personally I like all kinds of music, it depends on my mood. I have found baccy to be the same way for me.
But like brass is saying, it is a journey and with this blog it takes a great deal of $ out of the equassion if you spend the time reading and asking questions. It has saved me a lot since I started smoking Va and VaPer tobaccos.
Harris, said it the other day, overtime you will see your tastes lining up with a few more experienced smokers. When you do, start paying attention to other leaf they like.
Until then, read and test it out.
Why not just jar up what you have and start a cellar. Someday you will run into someone who will be willing to trade. I wish I had put some tobacco into jars that I pitched, but that is history :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.