PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arattray

Lurker
Jul 6, 2016
My wife and I will be taking a 2 and 1/2 week trip to the UK in the fall and I'm wondering if there are any tobacco houses that offer tours? Maybe Samuel Gawith? We'll be in Scotland, Wales and most England except the east coast side. If anyone has any knowledge that'd be great, or if there's an amazing pipe shop to check out that'd be great too. Thanks!

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Large good pipe shops in the areas you're going:
My Smoking Shop - Preston.
Alfie Turmeaus - Liverpool, Chester.
Both do on line too.
Enjoy your trip.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Dunno if Gawith offers tours

They did before the merger, I suspect they will continue to do so now. Do contact them in advance though.

I would call or email Germain's too.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Arattray- welcome to the Forums!
If you want to see Gawith, then contact Bob Gregory and mention you were recommended by Andy Stewart from the Pipe Club of London. The Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth factories have merged so there's something to see, including the original snuff machines from the early 1800s. You should go to the Trinity - Davidoff, JJ Fox (the oldest tobbaconist in the World) and Dunhill, which are all on St James' Street. Around the corner is John Marshall's stall on Jermyn Street market - John makes Millville pipes and he was a craftsman at Charatan. There is also a small, olde worlde tobacconist in Covent Garden which is good fun. I work in St James so would be happy to buy you and your wife a drink in one of the best spots in London - the American Bar in the Stafford Hotel. Just PM me and we can exchange details. I can also introduce you to the Pipe Club of Lindon is you're here for a meeting.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Lake District, from whence Lakeland tobaccos come, is breathtakingly beautiful and networked with walking trails. Just go prepared for heavy showers, which is what keeps the region so fresh and green. During the summer in the evening, you may be able to catch an English music hall show, a kind of variety show featuring old tunes and comedy, well worth it. The sunset is very late, and you may encounter old gents puffing their pipes in the mist as you walk back to your lodgings. I'd recommend b & b's instead of the resort hotels, which cater to folks who like to dress for dinner, unless you are traveling heavy and have your white tie and tux along. Out hiking, you will run into sheep.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, arratray, re-read your original post, and your trip is in the fall. So probably scratch the music hall; I think those are summer events. Also the late sunset ... not so much in the fall, I don't think. Otherwise, all applies. I was thinking back to my long-ago trip to the Lake District in early summer.

arattray

Lurker
Jul 6, 2016
Thanks for the info guys. We will be in the Lake District one night, staying on a working farm as a B&B as well. Unfortunately we won't be in London, Andy, or we'd check out the shops you mentioned. I did just email SG and name dropped you to see if we could get a tour :)
Will probably be driving through Chester so will try to check out Alfie's there.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The Lake District, from whence Lakeland tobaccos come, is breathtakingly beautiful

+1!

you may encounter old gents puffing their pipes in the mist as you walk back to your lodgings.

If they're smoking Lakelands, just remember to stay downwind if you've recently eaten.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I meant so the wind isn't blowing the stench in your direction. Figured since the wheel's on the wrong side of the cars in England maybe the wind blows the wrong way too ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Only in Australia does heading downwind keep the odors away! And you're right about England- it's an ill wind that blows no good.
Reminds me: Why is it so bad to be up Shitt's Creek without a paddle? Seems worse to be down the crik with no paddle....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.