PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Little Saturday roadtrip up I 71 today. Florence is about 70 miles north east of louisville.

Strauss Tobacconist is one of the oldest operating pipe shops in the country. The Florence location is a satellite of the main shop in Cincinnati.

Looks like they have a nice selection of quality tobaccos, and my primary reason for the jaunt - a nicely appointed smoking lounge!

Pics/review coming later.. I'm about 40 miles out still.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've arrived. I really wish we had something like this in Louisville.

The selection of pipes, tobacco and accessories is greater than any other B&M that ive personally been to in this region.

Plenty of quality tins (McClelland, Pease, Macbaren, Gawith, even one bag of Esoterica left) to go along with their renowned bulks. Even picked up a couple tins of some blends I've been wanting to try (Two Friends Heritage and McClelland Red&Black).

The clerks are exceedingly friendly and helpful.
The lounge has 10 comfy leather chairs and a few couches with plenty of tables and ashtrays. The clientele seems to be a good balance of local regulars and other travellers such as myself. So far I'm the only pipe smoker in the lounge but I've only been here about 30 minutes.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
X0IT4nV.jpg

OSsFTfn.jpg

fVPilsZ.jpg

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
I was up in Nky for my son's hockey game yesterday and stopped by Straus for a few minutes. Picked up 2 McClelland tins(Beacon extra and a 2 year old tin of Blue Mountain.) I grew up in the area, and miss this store a lot. It's nicely finished and the staff is really good.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Haha I was there from around 1130am to 330pm.. maybe we crossed paths.
They had about a dozen tins of older blends they were doing a silent auction with. I bid on the Astley's #2, Briar Fox, and some 2003 Dark Star.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
You were likely in the lounge when i came in then. I was in right around 2:30.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
What a wonderful trip. Whenever I travel I try to find a local B&M to visit; however, I do not think I have found any as cool as the one above. If I ever get to Kentucky....

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
I will add that they are a tad on the high side for their tins. Almost $16 for a 50 gram tin.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not many B&Ms can compete with online prices. No one in my city has the selection they do..and the couple shops here in louisville that carry pipe tobacco are a couple bucks more than Straus.

I wouldn't stock my cellar by buying from them, but I don't mind picking up a couple tins to take advantage of the lounge.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Just got a phone call from Strauss.. seems I won a couple silent auctions for tins.

A tin of Butera Golden Cake with around 10 years on it (if memory serves)

and a tin of Gawith Best Brown from 6-8 years ago.
I'll probably drive up this weekend to collect my tins and hang in the lounge again.

Status
Not open for further replies.