Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
I just read that EU plans to ban all tobacco about 2050. This is not good news ofcourse, and I maybe have to start storing large quantities, as I assume the prices will go up, up, up for the nextr 40 years. As this will need too many jars I just hope the tobacco stays moist in the orignial tin. Jut wondering if the american smokers have reason to fear something similar? And maybe to discuss how to meet this nightmare.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I read this because I thought it was matching tobbaco brands to music bands. Haha.
I plan on being dead by 2050.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Well. I'm quite sure there will be no EU in 2050 either, but it means it will be a long term war on tobacco. Australia is at the frontline and I think we have just seen the beginning.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
This is not good news for someone who is 18 and just starting out and who loves the hobby...I don't ha e the funds to stock pile and I plan on still being alive by 2050. :(

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't have a cellar yet. My wife tends to horde food because she's scared of a zombie apocalypse or some such nonsense. I'll have to knife fight her for a pantry wall of my own.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
38 years is a long time to be worrying about now. A lot of stuff will happen over that time that will elate us, piss us offf and generally be bothersome to most. I'll be 98 in 2050 so it probably won't be a problem for me. One day and one battle at a time.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
38 years is a long time to be worrying about now. A lot of stuff will happen over that time that will elate us, piss us offf and generally be bothersome to most.
+1
And subtech, how about a link to that story? Considering the amount of nonsense floating around the intrawebz, if I can't read and evaluate a story for myself, I tend to discount it heavily.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
The first article doesn't say they want to ban tobacco by 2050 other than menthol flavored cigarettes. It says they want to make all tobacco packages a generic looking black and white so as to make them unappealing to children and teens. They think this will help significantly in the reduction of smokers with hopes of being tobacco free by 2050.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Of course it is a long way, and it might never happen. But to put 800% tax is not so difficult. For a 50g tin I pay around 40 USD. if I will buy it in a local shop. And increasing every year. War on tobacco is not something new, but it gives a hint on what governments are thinking about the issue. I am sure the world will look more different in 40 years, than it did 40 years ago.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Over time here in the states folks tend to resist such bans.I hope that such will be the case with tobacco.So far those who have the power to do so have limited where we can smoke,and raised taxes on tobacco.All for our own they say.I guess they think we aren't smart enough to make good choices on our own.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I agree that there will be no EU in 2050; most likely, there will be no EU in 2025.
Those targets are too far off to worry me very much.
I think the immediate concern for ALL of us is the prohibition of internet pipe tobacco sales in the US and/or the ----% pipe tobacco tax increase. Either of those measures would probably be an instant kill for our hobby as we know it.
In the meantime, steadily build your cellars so that you can personally avoid the chaos when the hammer drops... Be an ant and not a grasshopper!
It's safe to say that the children of today's youth won't have the option to smoke tobacco when they are older. That is the direction we are headed in.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I can't say I would like my kids to use tobacco at all, but in the USA we were founded on individualism and being able to make our own decisions. So I hope they have the choice.
They are slowly taking our freedoms away using scare tactics to make us ask them to. The patriot act was the first of many bills passed to strip us of our constitutional rights. I don't see why they wouldn't railroad us into trying to ban tobacco other then the revenue it generates in tax money. I love my country, but I do not like where its heading. Sorry to bring up politics, but politics definitely tie into this thread. I have a meager cellar started in preparation for an astronomical tax increase in luxury tobacco. Sad thing is that the RYO tobacco accounts for the huge increase in pipe tobacco sales that is going to spawn the tax hike.
I don't think the world will be here in 2050. At least the world as we know it today. I will certainly be dead, I try not to think about the things I see in our near future. It scares me to death. My poor kids are the ones who are going to be hit the hardest by out Grim(in my eyes) future. One thing we must never lose is hope. Once you lose hope, you are no longer living. Wow. sorry for the lengthy post. I hope I've not offended anyone.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think it would be easy to ban tobacco all together. The sheeple of our country mostly view all tobacco as bad as cigarettes.
I will walk into work with a pipe hanging out of my mouth. Occasionally, it will be a conversation starter and the sheeple view all tobacco as the same as cigs. When I point out the differences, they are quite surprised but a large majority cling to the view that all tobacco is evil.
It won't come all at once, but it will be a death by a thousand cuts.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I found one article besides the one roudoudou posted. I will post them both here:
This one, that was posted above, says an MEP called for a ban on tobacco by 2025.
The 2050 date comes from here, where an anti-tobacco crusader is talking about the number of tobacco related deaths that will have occurred in a 100 year period, ending in 2050.
From what I read on this side of the pond, I gather the EU is liable to be defunct or restructured by that time, anyway. :P

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think the USA will hold out longer than anyone else. The people will fight back more and of course the industry still has a great deal of clout.
Canada, Europe, and Australia are easy targets on the other hand.
We'll only be a few steps away from a police state before it is all said and done. By the time they are finished monitoring the internet and punishing filesharers we'll all be convicted criminals.
Jud, I agree - I have my doubts that the EU will survive this predicament with Greece, let alone Portugal/Italy/Ireland/Spain and the other unstable members of that house of cards...

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
What's going on in the European Union? Can someone post a link to the predicament in Greece. I steer clear of the news, but this sounds kije something I ought to know about...

Status
Not open for further replies.