Tobacco Tins Rusting On Inside... thoughts?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I know this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it under the search function so forgive me for making a new thread.
I have a pretty good size cellar going now as I have about 40+ mason jars full of tobacco and 40+ tins of tobacco. In some of my empty old tins I've noticed that there is some rust and/or oxidation built up on the inside. I know someone brought up the discussion before about tins rusting on the inside, but I was curious as to how wide spread the problem is or can be. I've heard it only happens in the rectangle shaped tins.
I would hate to open a 5 year old tin of something to find that the tin had rust on the inside and the tobacco was ruined. My tobacco is kept in a dry place with no real humidity or moisture. I'm wondering if I should take the tobacco in the rectangle tins and store/age it in mason jars or just leave it in the tins. What are your thoughts on the issue?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I think the thread you are referring to is here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dear-macbaren-you-have-some-serious-problems#post-578360

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you aren't concerned about reselling them ever I'd err on the side of caution and just transfer the square tins to jars. Personally my cellar isn't at the unmanageable state and I only have 7 square tins so I'll just check them every once and a while to make sure the seal is still intact.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have to be the third person this week who asked me that question. I would go with Andrew on this one and just bung the stuff into a mason jar. What is it you are storing that is either so moist or acidic to knock out a vacuum sealed tin?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Good to know Peck. I'm curious though as to what will happen with ODF, like if they'll be able to keep producing a similar product or if it's going to undergo a minor change, as if you look into the history of the blend it was started with 20 year dark fired kentucky that had been sitting in a warehouse or something like that, so perhaps the version we've gotten will be highly sought after once that supply of the original dark fired kentucky is gone, which by now it probably is. I'm sure it will be pretty close, but there's no way they'll be able to produce an identical version of it without this supply of dark fired kentucky they had, which I believe was an african grown burley. Don't quote me on the african burly, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Dec 24, 2012
I couldn't believe how dark the flakes looked after 18 months of aging. Significantly darker than the fresh tin I opened recently. Not sure how much of the old Kentuckey they have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's idle speculation. I wonder if the rusting inside an unopened tin is always from a break in the seal,

or if in some cases the moisture in the tobacco condenses on the inside of the tin, like a little terrarium,

and rusts the metal inside. If there is moisture in there, and the seal is tight, it seems that could happen.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
In my experience, I have lost perhaps 5 tins to rust since 1988. That is a pretty low number considering how long a tin can sit in my cellar and how many old tins I bought on eBay back in the good ole days before so many of you were competing with me (lol). Now, I've smoked plenty of tobacco from rusted tins to varying degrees without a problem. With coin twist tins, the paper insert keeps most minor rust from getting to the tobacco. Unless the tin rusts through or the seal pops because of rust, it isn't even a big concern (IMHO). I'm not against jarring stuff right out of the gate, I just don't think it's necessary and I believe the benefits of not interrupting or stopping or altering the aging process out weight the risk of loss.
Mike S.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
On this thread, Per Georg Jensesn himself said:
I was very concerned reading the discussions on Pipesmagazine.com and I do feel like adding a few comments to the issue of the rusting edges on the HH Old Dark Fired tins. Hopefully this will allay some of the consumers concerns and ensure that we do value consumer feedback as it helps us make a better product.
First of all the tobaccos in the HH line is made under a quite different concept than all other Mac Baren tobaccos. This concept is of purity and as natural as we possibly can make the tobacco. This means that only a few things are added to the tobacco as a slight casing, and no top flavor at all. One of the few things added are vinegar, which is used for taste but also as a preservative.
Vinegar is an acid and will over time get in contact with the tin, and make it rust, but this is no way compromises the vacuum or the tobacco. However, the most important factor in this is the fact that the rust does not have any influence on either the smell or the taste. The tobacco will still taste and smoke like it always did.
The second issue is whether the tins hold the vacuum or not. The HH Old Dark Fired was introduced in May 2012. I have today opened a tin of HH Old Dark Fired packed in July 2012 (second batch), and the vacuum were intact and only the top edge were rusted. I filled my pipe, lit it and enjoyed a 45 minutes smoke, and there were no difference in taste, as I knew before even lightning up. At Mac Baren it is our goal to produce the very highest quality tobacco that will stand the test of time.
Without mentioning names I checked tins from other manufactures (which I keep in my office), and every manufacturer who produces this kind of almost pure tobacco using vinegar, had the same problem with rust in the tin, as long as they have sold tobacco in tins with vacuum.
I suspected this would happen for the HH Old Dark Fired, but for me it was natural and a result of the process that makes the HH series so unique. We are looking into ways to adjust the packaging material to avoid any rusting, but that is a work in progress. The unique qualities of the tobacco are such some reaction with the vinegar and metal may cause rust on the edge of the tin, but do not compromise the tobacco in any way. That is why I was so concerned reading the posts on pipesmagazine.com and why now I want to assure you the quality of the tobacco has not been compromised. Please feel free in the future to contact Mac Baren directly to address any questions or concerns you may have. (info@mac-baren.com)
The HH Old Dark Fired tobacco was composed to be smoked within a short period of time; however I do know the American way of cellaring the tobacco for years. My suggestion is, that you tap on the lid to hear if the vacuum is still OK, before you start taking the tobacco out of the tin. Try to tap a tin with vacuum and an open tin; you can clearly hear the difference in sound. Only when the vacuum is gone, you should think about putting the tobacco into jars. But, it will take many, many years before the vacuum disappears.
I have understood what was written in on pipesmagazine.com and will of course see which means we have to avoid rust on the edge. We at Mac Baren feel confident that the smell and taste of the tobacco has not been compromised, but will look into the matter with great importance.
It is my hope that everybody understands that rust do not have any influence on smell and taste, and also that the vacuum will keep for many, many years.
Finally, I will be present at the Chicago Pipe Show 2014, so everybody who has a question is very welcome to come to my table and ask me.
Happy smoke

Per Georg Jensen

Brand Manager – Pipe Tobacco

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I know this is old, but I found this thread extremely helpful. I've been using the tapping technique to check the vacuum seal. All my square tins are in good shape with 4 years age so far.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Majority of the tobaccos I have I intend to smoke so I transfer them to jars. Plus i just think it's so fun opening tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.