PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Today I was in a fishing museum in a place called Twillingate here in Newfoundland. In one of the sheds was this collection of tobacco tins. Some, like Holiday and Sail I remember seeing as a bot (I'm 55 now) but most of the others I've never seen.
I thought it was interesting one of them had "English Mixture" on it. Most just said something like "premium tobacco for pipe and cigarettes" or "pipe tobacco" or "chewing tobacco"
y9EjNBJ.jpg

May 31, 2012
Neat.
Is it the silver with red label tin that says "English Mixture" you're talking about?
Appears it might be a tobacconist in-house brand,

remember the name by chance?
Those red Old Virginia tins were made by Imperial Tobacco Canada,

as well as the Old Chum,

old brands from a company called D. Ritchieuby (sp.?) of the famous Gold Block fame,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gold-block
Thanks for sharing the picture!

:puffy:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I like old tins. Just don't have the room to collect them. If I did, it would probably be coffee tins though.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Is it the silver with red label tin that says "English Mixture" you're talking about?
It's the white tin with the orange label, Chubb's is the brand name. A couple to the left of the Bond Street can.
Maybe we're talking about the same can though, difference in shades and hues on computers.

May 31, 2012
Maybe we're talking about the same can though, difference in shades and hues on computers.
yep, that's the one,

interesting.
Dunno nuthin' bout Chubb,

but it probably tasted much better than Brick's Tasteless Cod Liver Oil! :)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
newfie and misterlowercase:
The tin in question once held Clubb's (not Chubb's - see the club playing-card symbol on the label?) Pipe Mixture, a brand which was manufactured by A. Clubb & Sons of Toronto, Canada, a firm which was established in 1878.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That Bond Street tin brings back memories of some bitey badness! When I first started pipe smoking, Bond Street was still common, in the yellow, weird window-pane patterned pouch. I tried it for a while because it sounded so sophisticated. What a lousy smoke that stuff was.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great pic. I like stumbling upon little pieces of the past like that. Very cool. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.