PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magus

Lurker
Sep 7, 2011
Gentlemen:
My fist tobacco, in 1962, was Dunhill's 965. I recently bought a tin and used it to make a clock. It is very easy to do and is quite original. (I would download a picture but don't know how. You can see it at www.anthonymagarello.com on the "Woodworking 2012" page.) What you need is a drill and bit to open a hole in the cover for the mechanism to fit through, and a clock kit. Kits are less than $10 dollars and take a AA battery. Once the clock mechanism is installed on the tin's cover with the provided nut, you can screw the back and front of the tin together and hang it on a wall or create a stand for it.
I bought my mechanism from Klockit.com, but there are other sites. [Send me a PM for my email address,] if you would like a plan of what I did. (If you know how to upload pictures on this forum page, please let me know.)
Anthony
Edit: Removed personal email address from post. L.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
That's very awesome! You've inspired a search for other awesome things to do with all these tins I've began gathering, this is definitely on the list.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the idea and post! For the geometrically challenged among us, how did you accurately locate the center & hour marks?
wkspclock.jpg

magus

Lurker
Sep 7, 2011
I used a compass. You can measure the diameter of the tin's cover (at the widest part)and draw a light pencil line. Draw a perpendicular line to that line at the center. Then set your compass at the point of intersection. Rotate the compass to see if it stays on the tin. Adjust the compass point until its pencil matches the circumference of the tin's face.

Or, you can turn the face of tin on a sheet of paper using it to draw a circle. Cut the circle out. Fold the paper in half and then in half again. Unfold the paper and place it on the face of the tin. Place a nail at the center of the creases and tap it with a hammer. That spot is where you drill, probably a 3/8" hole, depending on the clock mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.