PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Back to the days not too long ago when you still got stuff through mail-order catalogs,

1986 - when Capstan was still made in England and came in the complete range including brown label Full,

back when the real McConnell was still active and blending E&C and Ashton baccies along with the real Rattray's,

back when Gallaher's was still making Escudo,

back when Mick McQuaid was $1.65 a tin,

back when St. Bruno Flake could easily be in everyones rotation,

back when the UK still had a mighty presence...
...note the price of Three Nuns, a full dollar more than Balkan Sobranie!

Due to the perique I reckon...
7uDVd8u.jpg

lyINiNs.jpg

OFa3Ukr.jpg

MMZEwxa.jpg

JL1gmjJ.jpg

VS9YjSc.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, You find the best odds and ends. I never would have thought 1986 could be called the good old days, but some things at least were better then.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Old Catalogs and magazines are fun to dig through but it is depressing sometimes when you look at the prices and the products that are no more. 1986, I was still smoking Marlboros and swinging at the fences, wish I knew then what I know now!

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If those prices were adjusted for inflation they would still be 30 to 50 percent lower than they are now.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great Post! I started on the pipe as a freshman in college in 1985!

Didn't stick with it to long, quickly took up the Marlboro "Reds"..... :(

I mostly smoked the codger blends then, CH, PA, and some Tinder Box blends..........

Man, I wish I would have stocked the cellar back then!!

Thanks for sharing this!....... :puffy:

May 31, 2012
Yeah, I was 16 then and was pretty damn clueless, smoked cigarettes but I did have a rotation, I was truly an enthusiast! Lucky Filters, Chesterfield, Commander, 555, Craven A etc but I'd also go to the Tinder Box to get Gitanes Blondes which were my favorite --- I'd see ornate meerschaums and I did actually open the pipe tobacco jars and smell them, and ultimately had a total misconception of what pipe smoking was...
...in 1986 the only thing I was mail-ordering was obscure thrash band demo tapes from the back pages of Maximum Rock'n'Roll --- believe it or not I actually had this song memorized and would scream along with it LOL...
:
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGubKBhsXA

Status
Not open for further replies.