PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
What is a sort of mild tinned tobacco that I can smoke right from the tin without drying?

I start work at five (truck driver) and would like to get smoking then.
Thanks,

Matt
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I know some folks here are fanatical about drying, but there are only a few blends I smoke that I think need maybe a half-hour in the open air. And that's just to aid in the packing and burning. They smoke fine without drying; they may just require more relights. (For me, most of the GLPease and Esoterica blends benefit from this. Presbyterian Mixture is also helped by some drying time.)
As for specifics about what might be best for you, I wouldn't mind a little more information. "Mild" doesn't really tell me much. :) Aromatic or English or Virginia/Virginia-burley?
Bob

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
While none of these are very mild (a couple are quite strong) I've never had the need to dry:

Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls

Dunhill Nightcap

Peterson Irish Oak
The Dunhill Navy Rolls are the mildest of the lot, while the other 2 are quite strong.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Angler's Dream is what I would consider a mild tobacco and it doesn't need drying. It comes rather on the dry side and is ready to smoke right out of the tub or bag. It's a great blend for when you don't have time to really sit back and concentrate on a blend, such as while driving. And it's sold inexpensively in bulk.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I've been smoking mostly flake cuts. Dunhill, MacBaren Navy... Also, I'm working on a tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou, which I really like, but seems to require, at least, a little drying.
Matt

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think I'm in the minority, but I've never dried tobacco. Yes, dry tobacco will burn easier, but I think you lose flavor. Just my opinion.
My favorite blends are Virginia/Oriental and Virginia/Oriental/Latakia blends from McClelland.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
Looks like I'll have to break down and order some of these. Darn.

Doesn't mean more of you can't chime in, though.
Matt

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
For your situation I am just going to give some advice that would work for any tobacco if you choose to have it dried out. Buy the cheap pipe wind caps that have side spring clamps which clamp to the inner bowl. Fill your bowl ahead of time and put the wind cap on. Then when ready to smoke it just take the cap off. This is actually my preferred method of drying because because tobacco packs easier when it is moist. You can only do this about 6 hrs in advance. 1 day later it will definitely be too dry. Do multiple pipes and you will never have to pack while driving!

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Ash, pack your pipe before you got to bed, and cork it like this (http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/look-what-my-husband-made-me). At five, just light up - it's already been perfectly dried for you while you were sleeping.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
All good ideas here. Typically, your non-aromatics or "slight" aro's do not need drying. My experience with Cornell and Diehl is that only their aromatics need some drying time. There is a favorite of mine that the late Craig Tarler of C&D always smoked. It was his go-to tobacco. He insisted that he did not smoke anything but Two Friends Heritage. It is a Tarler/GL Pease Blend and I recommend it to you as a non-aromatic. Although, it has a miniscule amount of aromatic to bring out the sweetness of the Virginia in this blend. It is a mild and smooth all-day smoke and non-offensive to others.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I have been trying to pack at least one in advance. I put a Gatorade lid on top with a rubber band on it and put it up in my overhead compartment. I guess I didn't think about doing it the night before.

I'm still going to use this as an excuse to try some of these tobaccos, though.
Matt

Jul 15, 2011
I've found that almost all blends I've tried by the following manufacturers require either no dry time or no more than about 10 or so minutes:
5 Brothers

Hearth and Home

Dunhill

Peterson

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I like my pipe tobac on the dry side. I just let the entire tin or bag dry by emptying the tobac out onto a paper towel or news paper. when the tobac has reached my desired dryness I put the tobac back into its package. I do agree that some pipe tobaccos need no dry time before smoking.
mike.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You know, speaking of OTCs, that Troost Special Cavendish I got for free (STG promotion) was a tasty non-aromatic in an orange pouch -- didn't need any drying at all. Surprisingly tasty too, I smoked all of it up quickly.
I smoked a ton of that when I was a new smoker. I revisited it a few years back and found it pleasant. I might try it again some time.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"If you open the tin a week or two in advance it wont need drying by the time"
I wouldn't think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.