PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, we have a new legislative session in Maryland and already a bill has been submitted to increase the tax on OTP's from 30% to 76%. (SB 37)

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/fnotes/bil_0007/sb0037.pdf
The new governor promised no new taxes, so it's most likely that he'll veto anything like this. But his veto can be overridden by a majority, so thats comforting.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
This comes as no surprise for sure. Maryland isn't very tobacco friendly now.
Al, at least we have the unique ability to buy our tobacco in three other states that are literally only minutes away.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
We in MO have been able to repeatedly reject increases to our low tobacco taxes. I hope you will be able to hold the line in MD.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Boswells in PA is my closest tobacconist.

I would love to be able to purchase some Faders blends, but at that cost, I just go elsewhere.

I am curios as to what this new Governor does. I had his ear last year for a couple of minutes and told him about the closing of The Annapolis Smoke Shop, etc. He told me he would not support any additional tax increases in 2015. I'm just not sure that's enough.
On Facebook yesterday, someone posted that NY is also looking to increase taxes on Premium cigars, to 95%! (NY apparently had lowered that tax last year). So, Maryland is not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.