PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Since a few days the tobaccos in my rotation have started tasting salty. Have you ever encountered this weird phenomenon? One day they are sweet and everything is awesome; I am getting full flavors and then suddenly bam! The taste have changed from sweet profile to salty,metallic taste.
Tobacco in question - Christmas Cheer 2014, Rattrays Marlin Flake. The blend have their dedicated pipes so there's no cross contamination. One thing to note is that its rainy season and the pipes are on a pipe stand in my room.
Any thoughts and/or hypothesis?
Cheers,

Chris

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
i've encountered that, but haven't smoked that specific tobacco. i've always contributed to mouth chemistry.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have never encountered it, but I see it popping up here a couple of times a year, so cant be that uncommon, usually the advice is to give the mouth/pipe a break for a week or so...
Isaac

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This happens when I've overdosed on smoking ... especially Latakia blends.
As suggested, just give the pipe a few days rest and it should help.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Most reports of salty taste is after smoking alot of latakia blends, have you been smoking alot of latakia lately?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... during the box pass last year I overloaded and HH Latakia Flake tasted like brine. :P

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
It happens unfortunately. Ex specially if your in a mode of trying new blends and you just want to smoke as much stuff as possible on your day off.

Mar 1, 2014
Tastebud burnout.

I'm probably never goint to get anywhere near that point but I've seen half a dozen of these threads now. When everything tastes salty you need to take a break.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only times that I have gotten the saltiness is when the pipe hasn't properly rested, or is in need of a thorough cleaning.

@Shane - I usually smoke 3-4 different blends in one rotation. I write about tobacco so I tend to smoke a little extra than usual. This is the first time I have had Latakia overload that my mouth chemistry has changed. Will keep it in mind from now on. The culprit in question - GLP Quiet Nights.
@chasingembers - I also thought that it was a pipe issue but I thoroughly clean my pipe after every smoke and always deep clean my pipes every 2 weeks. For example I have 3 different pipes for GLP Quiet Nights. 2 for Marlin Flake, 2 for Christmas Cheer, 2 for FMOTT so that they get proper rest before I smoke them again.
@frozen Yup, time for a break.
Cheers,

Chris

aaaaaand and it happened again, I laid off the pipe for 10 days, and got back to just one small bowl of latakia in 24 hours and now I am back to square zero. I think I am going to stop smoking Quiet Nights for a few months and take on lighter English blends. The thing is its so damn good that I specifically crave it.
Time to order some JackKnife and Triple Play I guess.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.