Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yes, it does. Gregory L. Pease explores this in his latest column. This topic is another example of how a significant portion of our readership are pipe hobbyists, and maybe even connoisseurs. When I try to explain to someone about our community and audience here, I usually tell them to think of a wine connoisseur they might know, and then apply this to pipe smoking.
Many of us are not just passive, habitual smokers. We like to explore different blends with different tobaccos from different appellations, and try different types of pipes with different tobaccos - just like different wine glasses work better with certain wines. Mr. Pease took three different pipes and explored three different tobaccos. Here are the results ...
Three by Three

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Thanks for posting and my hat is going to get worn out from constantly tipping it to Mr. Pease.
Some may look at this and feel overwhelmed about pairing tobacco and pipes. For me, it's part of the fun of smoking a pipe. I recently realized that an Angelo Rovera and C&D Virginia Gentleman have bettery chemistry than any other pipe and baccy in my collection. They compliment eachother so well that I can't get the experience with that tobacco using any other pipe. And it just makes me want to experiment more ;)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My comment on the article:
I have tried matching up tobacco’s with a particular pipe for years without really realizing it. I have my favorite combinations of pipe and tobacco with what I’m drinking also, like coffee, ice tea, beer or single malt, but I have trouble remembering most of the time. I’d give anything if I’d have started a pipe and tobacco log years ago.

I have Samarra in my cellar. I know that you used the three tobacco’s in your article only as examples, but after reading the reviews for Lagonda and Abingdon, I’ll just have to order some…! Thanks for the great read!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Rather than sort out the optimum combination(s) of pipe and tobacco,

I revel in the surprise discoveries made through random exploration.

Pease's point is an excellent one however: briars have their own personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.