PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Upon learning more about the FDA regulations, I've decided to start the Cellaring/Aging/Hoarding process. Other than my favorite blends, what other blends do you highly recommend for this? Any advise as well?
Thanks! :puffpipe:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Virginias, Va/Pers and VaBurs will age the best, they tend to develop a sugary bloom that really sweetens the smoke. Balkans age well, but can mellow out over time, sometimes a lot, sometimes not much at all, depends on the blend and the tin! Straight Burleys remain pretty much the same over time, some will get sweeter but most will not change much. Aromatics can lose their topping over time, not always, but often they are reduced in flavor with age. Regular strength English blends should mellow a bit over time, some will lose their punch entirely, but if you are lucky and choose wisely they can become SUBLIME....often giving you a smoke that is unavailable without the benefits of time.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Personally, I MUCH prefer Balkans with a few years on it. I agree that after 5-7yrs it goes nowhere, but if you're aging for personal availability and not "aging", it matters not. It'll still be a good smoke in 15yrs, perhaps not better, but good.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Agreed Nate, but he is so new to smoking that I'm assuming that he hasn't had time to try many blends and is going to be buying "blind" and sort of hoping that he'll like the blend when the time comes.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I am buying blind. I have favorites like Plum Pudding and FMC, but really haven't had a good chance to discover various Virginia blends.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There are the standards which most pipe smokers love universally. Escudo, Dunhill Navy Rolls, John Alysbury Luxury Flake, Dunhill Flake to name a few. Try a tin and then stock up.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
McClelland # 27 is magical with 20 years of age. Rattray Old Gowrie is fantastic. McClelland Beacon or GLP Telegraph Hill are great Va/Pers that only get better.

I have a bunch of Union Square swuirreled away too.

These are just a few of many good choices

Mike S.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The Virginia based are always going to age well. I myself love blends where the Latakia has "faded", especially if it has a good Oriental component. McConnell Oriental or Dunhill Durbar with 5-10 years age, where the latakia is just a whisper of leather and smoke is fantastic. Sometimes, though, I want a fuller smoke. I've started cellaring blends with a little stronger latakia presence than I prefer when fresh, and they fade to the middleground I want them at. I popped a tin of Star of the East yesterday with about 7ish years on it. It was nowhere near the smoky heavyweight as when young, but was still hanging in there as a good cruiserweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.