PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev413

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2013
I am new to the hobby and am looking for suggestions on good blends that are not to complex for me to try out. I have tried almost all of the OTC blends, Frog Morton, LL Very Cherry, another LL blend that the B&M called "English Luxury", CC-5 and thats about it. Im really not feeling the Aro's though. I dont know if its just me, or the baccy but Its just not my thing. Even though I would like to try 1Q and see what the big kick with it is, along with Black House. But other than that Im kinda lost on what to try out, whats good, and whats not.:puffpipe: All help is greatly appreciated!
Semper Fi

Rev

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm going to take a different approach to recommending something. Because there are literally hundreds of very good to excellent blends out there, I'm going to suggest that you focus first on a small number of blenders, and explore what they have to offer.
My purely personal suggestions would be to look at G.L. Pease, McClelland, Esoterica (although often out of stock), Rattray, Dunhill, and Samuel Gawith. This will give you a feel for American, British, and European styles, and you'll get examples from artisan blenders (Pease and Esoterica) to larger factories (McClelland and Dunhill, which is produced by Orlik).
Although I don't love everything these companies produce, their blends are all high quality and, in many cases, the best in their respective categories.
Bob

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
My suggestions for a good starter tobacco

Carter Hall

Prince Albert

Lane 1Q

Half & Half

Pretty much all drugstore blends other than 1Q so you may have already tried them

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I think I'd spread out a bit and try some Virginia's, Virginias w/ Burley, and VaPers.
Once you go down the rabbit hole you really open up a lot of options. There's a favorite VaPer thread running around here that got some great options.
I don't smoke too many "english" blends. Still picking through my Black House and I've got Chelsea Morning and Three Oaks Syrian on deck to try.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I suggest GLP's Maltese Falcon. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/gl-pease-maltese-falcon-pipe-tobacco-review/#more-3286

Status
Not open for further replies.