PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome to the forum rikibond007, if you are new to smoking a pipe and you want a good aromatic for starters you can't go wrong with Lane's 1Q it's the most popular blend in America, Lane's Black Raspberry is also a good aromatic for starting. Once again welcome and good luck on your pipe smoking journey.

~Ron

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
May I also suggest Sutliff's Private Stock (click on their advertisement on the home page of this magazine, and there's an automatic test that sees which tobacco might be best for you--don't know if it really works, but it seemed to for me) which sells the incredible Molto Dolce, arguably the most aromatic tobacco you can get, sweetened with vanilla, caramel, and honey. Warning; so sweet you might get tongue bite, and Roth up there will tell you that you can eliminate the tongue bite by adding a little Carter Hall. Welcome!

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
+1 on Pipeworks & Wilke

(+1 means that I agree, if you're unfamiliar with that notation.)
I'm currently sampling four of Carole Burns' aromatics, and will provide my personal impressions of them within a day or two:

Mettowee

Vermont Maple Cavendish

Cherry Cavendish
Have smoked #515 and the Cherry Cavendish so far, and was surprised by no goop, even though I filled my pipe right from the bag with no drying time.
I can also vouch for Sutliff Molto Dolce being a tasty aromatic blend, but you may be frustrated at first by the constant relights if you don't give the tobacco plenty of drying time. McClelland's Frog Morton Cellar is similar in that it's very tasty, but requires some drying before use. (Both are worth the effort for their aroma and taste, I might add.)
I've yet to try the Boswell blends, so I can't offer comments on them, other than that they seem to be popular with many members here.
Welcome to the forums. You'll get plenty of sound advice, encouragement, and learn a lot from the members here. Enjoy your stay.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome to The Club rikibond007!!
A lot of great suggestions here. I don't tend to smoke much for aromatics anymore but I did just come across some "Hobbits Weed" in my cellar the other day. I revisited that and found it to be pretty tasty.

Here is the link to the site

Tewksbury

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome to the site Riki! Of the aros I've tried, Frog Morton's Cellar, Short Cut to Mushrooms, Mac Baren Vanilla flake, Boswell's Sweet Tea, and Captain Black: Dark all have been good experiences.
I've actually been meaning to grab a Black Cavendish blend for those days I get a sweet tooth.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Welcome to the site. You will learn tons here from some great selfless pipe smokers.

IMO some great aromatics to try are:

Lanes Limited 1Q

Pipesandcigars Hearth & Home Manor Heights

Lanes Limited Black Raspberry

Mac Baren Vanilla Flake

Enjoy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. You have garnered quite a few great suggestions so I will not add more. One piece of advise, read as much as you can on pipe smoking technique, how to properly dry your tobacco, and how to maintain your pipes. It will definitely add to your enjoyment. Good luck with the blends that you choose.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
This question has come up a few times recently. Coincidentally, I've been on a bit of an aromatic bender. Here are a few I've enjoyed:
Two Friends: English Chocolate
Pipeworks & Wilke: No. 5, No. 191, Rumcake, Vermont Maple Cavendish
The Humidor/310: Battleground
C&D: Autumn Evening
Savinelli: Cavendish
McClelland: Holiday Spirit
Mac Baren: Vanilla Cream Flake
Finally, one I always recommend as a crossover aromatic: GL Pease Barbary Coast

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Can you yanks not get overseas blends???
I would reccommend Peterson's blends (if you're not going after the nic-hit)... Conniseuers choice (sp) is very good, as are their annual "specials".

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Welcome to the forum.

For aros, I'm partial to:
Pipes&Cigars Trout Stream

Pipeworks &Wilke Rumcake

MacBaren Plumcake
Good Luck

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Perique, I never heard of a chocolate based baccy, and I love chocolate. Where can I get this? Oh, and Riki, you can't go wrong stocking up on Carter Hall even if it's not an aromatic; it's a smooth smoke, you can mix it with almost anything, and best of all it's easily available at over-the-counter (OTC) stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.