PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Soon I will be dangerously low on Frog Morton which, except for a bit of Penzance, has been my only experience with English blends. Wondering what to get English blend-wise next. Just from looking at tobacco reviews my thoughts have been running to G.L. Pease Chelsea Morning, Dunhill English Mixture or Bishop's Move (or, of course, more Frog Morton).
Have never had a Virginia. Think my local tobacconist plans on getting bulk McClelland Red Cake (5100 I think) so that will probably be my first because I can get an ounce of it to try. But G.L. Pease Union Square, Solani Silver Flake and Hal o'The Wind have also caught my eye.
While further down the road, I have also never tried an "oriental". Was thinking of G.L. Pease Ashbury, McClelland Blue Mountain or Three Oak Syrian.
Imagine opinions are pretty far and wide, but would these be good choices? Or others? I would like to stay light to medium before trying anything heavy.
Thanks!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
If you liked Frog Morton then give Peterson's Old Dublin, it's good stuff along more traditional lines.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
johnparker, every tobacco you mentioned is a fine smoke.
If you want a light virginia, I would suggest Fribourg and treyer's golden mixture. This blend has a light flavor as well as light nicotine, but is in my opinion, a very fine smoke and hints at what a stronger virginia can provide. It is a ribbon cut.
Union square and Hal O' the Wynd are top notch, but heavy in flavor and nicotine. Do not let this deter you from trying them. Hal O' the Wynd also contains Perique, which you should try.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
johnparker, I'm glad to hear you are experimenting with different tobaccos. I don't have a recommendation on English blends, except for 4Noggins Bakerstreet USA. I will say once you try the Virginias, you'll likely be very pleased. I've recently begun sampling some VA blends, and Va/Per blends, wonderful, sweet and peppery tasting tobaccos.
Look into Esoterica Dorchester, for a Va/Per. I was able to find two tins and cracked one open as soon as I received it. I'm in love. Lemon yellow tobacco, ketchup smell, but sweet, sweet taste with a bit of pepper from the Perique.
Also, MacBaren HH Mature Virginia is very nice and sweet. Although I've read here it's outside the usual VA type.

Aug 1, 2012
Good choices and suggestions so far. For good, cheap, bulk English you can't go wrong with Stokkebye Proper English or Newminster English Oriental. I would also put forth Black House (a little heavy but no more than Penzance), Dunhill 965 and my personal favorite SG Squadron Leader.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Like Mr. Pease says in his recent article "The breadth of choices currently available is staggering, and new things appear frequently. Quality leaf is readily available, and some experienced, creative blenders are bringing new ideas to the tobacco jar, informed by their deep knowledge and understanding of the classics."

So I would say experiment away with Peretti, Sterling and the rest of the really good tin and bulk that are enablers provide.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
peterpiperuk said "it's all a matter of personal taste."
In the end, that's exactly what it amounts to ... personal taste. And no two of us are exactly alike in that regard. For example, Latakia is a common ingredient in a great many blends ... most of those in this forum could probably list one or more of those blends as being among their favorites. But, that wouldn't work for me. Latakia and I have the same sort of relationship that oil and water have. We don't mix. However, it would be unfair for me to steer you away from all blends that contain it ... your taste and mine will diverge, at least at some points.
You might try buying in small quantity until you've found which of the very many alternatives work for you ... and more importantly, which don't.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Johnparker! Chelsea Morning is a very nice tobacco. You can really feel out the different flavors in it. I recently picked up a tin of Old Dublin *shakes fist at Sean and Jud* and I've been enjoying it but my allergies are keeping me from tasting it fully I think.
Towards some Oriental flavors, can I suggest Dunhill Early Morning Pipe? A very nice light tobacco. I'd also mention Lane's LEO which isn't nearly as rich as Dunhill EMP, but a fine smoke in my book. Last but not least is my favorite light English, McCelland's Jubilee. This one has it all. Sweetness, smokey flavor, sourness, just a really nice chimera...full of flavor. I tend to like lighter-sweeter Englishes and this one takes the cake for me.
As far as Virginia's and VaPer's go, if you order from 4Noggins I would most definitely ask Rich if he could toss a sampler of Prairie Wind in. This a really nice, cool and smooth VaPer with a hint of an aromatic vanilla.
Also for a VaPer with a little cavendish in it, I would recommend the drier hay-like PS Luxury Bullseye Flake as well as the "richer" sweet Marlin Flake from Rattray. Marlin Flake is like smoking sweet raisins with white ground pepper on them.
I'm poking around English blends myself after spending almost a full year on VaPers and Virginias.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Hal O' The Wynd, despite its high reputation, is one of the vilest blends I have ever tasted.
Yes, it is quite terrible. In fact, if anyone has any of this blend, they should immediately send it to Sallow so he may dispose of it in the proper manner. I'll burn it right up.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you loved the Frog and want to try something very nice from Greg Pease, Haddo's Delight will blow you away as soon as you open the tin.
If you want a nice mellow walk down the VA line, SG Best Brown Flake is a creamy perfect entry to VA's. Then you can look at the Vapers! But that's another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.