PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtabasco

Lurker
Oct 20, 2012
  • I am new to pipe smoking and I am looking for some tobacco recommendations.
    I like something with some flavor, sweetness but not overpowering, mild nicotine levels, and with a nice aroma my family will enjoy.
    Any suggestions?

jack87

Lurker
Jun 24, 2012
Peterson's Sherlock Holmes is great, As is Boswell's Xmas cookie. I would look for a sampler and get some cobs and just have a fun day of smoking.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Aromatics wise definitely go with Lane Limited 1Q, Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream (I feel the flake has a bit more of an intensity to the flavors both tobacco and casing) or any of their 7 Seas line (my favorite is the Regular Blend but Royal and Black are very popular as well). McClelland's Premium Aromatic line seems good for this as well. I've sampled Best of Show and Town Topic and have enjoyed both of them tremendously. Both have the approval of the War Council.
One that can be tricky to track down as a Virginia, but has great flavor and a good room note would be Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. Another VA that is pretty good with an alright room note is GL Pease's Union Square.
If you're looking to win the approval of non-smokers I can say, for the most part, Latakia/Balkan blends tend to go over less well than aromatics.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
1Q for sure. Every B&M has it under their own name. It's a good one to cut your teeth on. C&D'd Autumn Evening, like Town Topic, is a maple blend and very nice for this time of year. If you like chocolate with a bit of extra something Two Friends English Chocolate gives you a bit of English with a chocoalte backdrop.

Also check out J.M Boswells web site and descriptions. I've never had their blends but many here regard them highly.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
call Boswells and get a sampler of whatever sounds good to you.. I keep Bear Blend, Rasp, Choc, Peach, Berry and their english Northwoods on hand. if those don't pass the room note test you are in trouble.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Call up one of the site sponsors and ask about aromatic samplers. There are several prepackaged that represent a wide range of aromatic flavors.
and also 1Q, if you have a local B&M they almost definitely have it and will know what you're talking about even if they call it something else.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
4noggins has an aromatic sampler as well. Great aromas, and you'll enjoy trying the different blends.

wtabasco

Lurker
Oct 20, 2012
I appreciate all of the suggestions, and I am looking forward to trying out the differt types.
Thank you.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
1Q, Boswell's Berry Cobbler, C&D Dark Cherry Cavendish as far as Aros. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and NightCap. Pretty much my beginner blends.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For Aros I always recommend Savinelli Cavendish. This is a great Aro with a fantastic aroma, pleasant room note, and just enough backbone so that you know you're smoking tobacco.
I also always recommend Gatlinburlier's Mountain Mall Mix. I always get compliments on the room note from smokers and nonsmokers alike.
More controversially, I'm also a fan of Stanwell Melange. Amazing, unique apricot aroma. My wife loves to smell it in the tin. Constantly. I've been told it will ghost a pipe, so I just dedicated a cob to it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Try H&H Caramel Apple Pie from pipesandcigars.com. Also try Yule Pudding from Jack Lee Blend. It just became available for the season and has a terrific room note.

wtabasco

Lurker
Oct 20, 2012
Being new to pipe smoking I do not know what 'ghosting a pipe' means. I've only got one pipe at this time cause I broke my meerschaum pipe.
How many do I need?

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I would stay away from Virginias until you get your smoking technique down. I'm not a fan of aromatics, but it seems to be the popular choice for beginners. I would suggest a good English blend to learn on. They are not really that sweet, but easy on the tongue.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
For a nice room note and flavor, try Tewksbury's Bar Harbor. If my doesn't comment on the smell, it has a good room note; and it doesn't have the heavy topping most aromatics have. It is my favorite Aromatic.

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
Being new to pipe smoking I do not know what 'ghosting a pipe' means. I've only got one pipe at this time cause I broke my meerschaum pipe.
How many do I need?

Ghosting is when the smell/flavor soak into the pipe and can be detected even when you change tobacco. Thirty-two of the 34 estate pipes I bought in one lot had a stinky and persistent ghost, even the two cobs. The good news is that aromatics will kick out a previous ghost to set up residence. Lane 1-Q is pretty effective at reghosting even a briar.
Another option would be to buy some new cobs. They are inexpensive and don't hold ghosts as firmly as briars do. People seem to either despise cobs, or fall madly in love with them ... but for about $10 retail price you can easily find out which camp you are in by buying one and trying it. Make sure it's a Missouri Meerschaum, though - they are the last USA corncob pipe company left now. (Apologies to the rest of the world, but Washington, Missouri is the corncob pipe capital of world for about 150 years for a reason.)

cjdincus

Lurker
Nov 6, 2012
I recently picked up a couple tins of Mcclelland Scottish Woods, and while it isn't flavored at all it is a nice cool smoke and is probably my favorite tobacco right now. Also, from what I've read about Mcclelland tobaccos they are on the lower side of the nicotine spectrum.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
How many pipes do I need?
Depends on how often you smoke. Most of us like to let a pipe "rest" for 3 days after a days use. So if you smoke only every 3 days, You only need one pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.