PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just curious as what other items have been smoked other than tobacco. "LETS Omit Controlled items!"
Leaving out controlled items, leaves out tobacco.
Lots of people smoke dope in pipes. It really messes them up. Stop doing that, you hippie potheads! Stop doing that or I'll take away your sitars and paisley covered bed spreads!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's about it. Indiginous peoples, Indian nations and others, have smoked tobacco and/or unusual mixes of other herbs. However, in the otherwise light-hearted discussion, I'd say, don't experiment with untried or unknown tobacco substitutes. Many plants produce high test toxins to ward off insect enemies that, if smoked, can sicken or kill you. The scientific or aesthetic interest of puffing on unknown botanicals could be the last thing you do, so don't do it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Check out Rule 7
Hmm...
Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience.
Glad I did. That's hilarious. Also a good example of why the "No True Scotsman" fallacy is not as broad of a category as most surmise.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Maybe GL Pease could weigh in on this one. I swear I saw something about him working on a Tobacco with Tea blend. It might have been on this months crawl.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
There were a couple of articles in The Pipe Collector a few years ago about herbal substitutes for tobacco.

It was interesting but I never actually tried any. Once I retire, I just might look into it more.

According to the author, there are a fairly large number of different choices.

Mike S.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've had some decent herbal cigarettes of the legal kind. I could see mixing them with some strong tobacco in a pipe.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Not sure why we are even having this discussion. That's like asking what subsitutes there are for beer, pizza, ice cream etc. There is no such thing as a tobacco substitute!!!!!! well ok, derfatdutchman has a point.. maybe Mixture 79

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Too true. There is no substitute for tobacco. Perhaps "alternative" would be a more accurate term.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
During WWII people used to make pipe tobacco out of dandelions and colts foot leaves which was by all accounts quite popular and was used in a fashion not dissimilar to 'hamburger helper' to stretch out limited supplies of pipe tobacco. Apparently parsley has a fairly neutral flavor which when mixed with tobacco can bulk out a dwindling supply of the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.