PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks. I just tuned in. This is much better than watching fishing shows, old NCIS-LA, or the snow falling.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
You know, I sent the entire afternoon watching TCM. I've never really given Classic movies the time of day but I am finding that I like them. No special effects. Just substance. Interesting.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Brother, I've never seen "Bright Leaf" and I thought I'd bagged every Lauren Bacall movie made and all of Cooper's from 1929 on.
Thank you for sharing this.
What a cast! Gary Cooper. Lauren Bacall. Patricia Neal. Jack Carson. The truly fine Donald Crisp and the equally fine Jeff Corey.
I've got to see this movie.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Min:
Amazing how moving pictures used to entertain, isn't it?
No CGI. No Dolby sound. Just solid acting, great writing, directing and cinematography.
Black and white film can be such an art form, Inez. If you ever want to take the time and look into it further, watch the better films lensed by James Wong Howe, Gregg Toland and Stanley Cortez. In the early days those cats only had B&W to work in and the way they manipulated lights and shadows is really a marvel. (An added plus would be Toland's brilliant "deep focus" style where everything in the movie frame is crystal clear.)
Cheers, pal.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.