PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

splodger

Lurker
Nov 9, 2015
Have some patience for a new pipe smoker please!

Considering the bewildering choice of tobacco blends out there, it can come as no surprise to you that I, as a new pipe smoker, am somewhat baffled. I would really like to put together my own sampler of the major styles of blended tobacco so that I have a real world reference while learning the ins and outs of styles and blends. I know there are no hard and fast rules, but if you could say for example that Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (a Tin of which I'm enjoying) is typical of an English blend, or that The Virginia Cream is… you get the picture. And if you could narrow it down to perhaps four or five or at most six distinct styles I would be most grateful. Then, after the dust has settled, I'll splash out on some new baccy and enjoy trying to get a greater understanding.

Many thanks.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (a Tin of which I'm enjoying) is typical of an English blend,
NO. EMP is an English however very different from Royal Yacht or Boswells Northwoods. I wouls sugest not worying about "Types" and focus on the blends them selves. Got to Tobacco reviews and find blends you ar interested in then get 1 ox samples of those blends
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com
You can also go to youtube and look up "Stuff and Things" that guy Bradley does alot of reiews on blends and has been spot on

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
English - (you've done well with EMP) my favorite: Smokers Haven Exotique Mixture and/or Esoterica's Margate

Virginia - Full Virginia Flake

VaPer - Escudo Navy Deluxe

Aromatic - Dan Tobacco Blue Note (hands down the best Aro I've tried)

Dark Fired - Mac Baren - Old Dark Fired or Orlik - Dark Strong Kentucky
If you are brave:
Lakeland Aromatic - Ennerdale Flake
Everyone's answer is going to be different and you'll be left with a lot more than six suggestions.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Many vendors have sample packs 4 or 5 2 ounce or one ounce amts to taste. I recommend briarworks and wilke or p&c. Shel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Buy bulk when you can, in small quantities. Jar what you don't like and try it later since your taste changes.
A few more suggestions:
English: Peter Stokkebye Proper English, Lanes English Luxurity
Va/Per: Dunhill Elizabethan
Va/bur/Cav: PC Log Cabin, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue (aro)
Burley Forward: C&D Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley (all pretty strong); or milder burley Carter Hall, Prince Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.