PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I just moved and I am trying to find a new place for my tobacco. My new smoking spot is a shed in the back yard and I was wondering if I could keep my tobacco there. It's not insulated, but it seems to have a more consistent temperature than outside, but its not the same as a house. Also I do live in Colorado so there can be some extreme temperature patterns. What do you think will my tabak get ruined if I keep it in a shed?

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i store mine in mason/kilner jars in a drawer in my bedroom
if you store yours in a shed I would ensure that the tobacco never freezes solid (i doubt that would be good for it) but otherwise a cool environment would probably be good, as long as the tobacco doesnt dry out...a humidor will always be the best solution for pipe tobacco and cigars

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I don't know but maybe You should give us the address of the shed. :rofl:
Sorry I had to. :rofl:

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I would never rip off ones baccy but I sure would help smoke it with them. :puffy:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
You don't want it to freeze, for one thing--freezing will break down the essential oils in the leaf, and probably not be great for any casings either. Keep it in the house, in mason jars and tins, in a cool, *dry* location.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've got an old Igloo cooler in the basement for my "cellar",and a couple of plastic boxes with lids for stuff I plan to smoke in the near future. The current rotation sits on shelves in the basement,in Ball jars or the tin.

:puffpipe:

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
use mason jars in will stay fresh a LONG time with no smell if thats a problem with it being in the house. Dont use a humidor unless you can find a humi device to keep your baccy moister level like 15% or it will get to moist for most people.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Its not really a smell issue. I already have my tobacco in mason jars and the like. Its a matter of room and I thought since I will be smoking in the shed it would be convenient, but my thoughts have been confirmed its not a good idea. I tried to convince my wife to give me a kitchen cabinet but that didn't fly.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Even having a cabinet, or shelf in the garage, or closet would probably be better. Cyndi bought one of these for our tobacco stash.
6078804962_3cc992434d_b.jpg

6078276037_22f859375d_b.jpg

It's a video/CD storage cabinet she found at Wal-Mart. Cost...about $100.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
That's a nice set up bootleg. It's a little out of my price range, but eventually I'll get something like that. I lost my man cave to the baby and I just seem to find the right place for my pipe stuff.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like that cabinet bootleg. I wouldn't keep the jars in the shed. Keep'em in the house and load your pipe before you go out. I know alot of people keep there jars in the dark. Some of mine have been sitting on a shelf in my room for years and they haven't gone bad.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Keep you baccy in the house safe and sound, take a pouch in the pocket on the way to the shed and problem solved. Bootleg, may I borrow your "Cyndi"? Seems like she is one understanding and supportive lady... . :)

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Lol, she smokes pipes with me most times and she's a member here. She got started in the hobby with me as I have restored pipes and she has sold them on etsy.com for me. Then she took up the pipe to help relax and manage her pain to some degree.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Bootleg, I got your cabinet at Big Lots. :P
lol, stanwellman. My services can be bought with pipes and tobacco. I have a severe dislike of clutter not having a home (not that you'd be able to tell by my house) and I love home decoration "hacks." IKEA hackers may be one of my favorite sites ever.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Wow, baskerville! You and bootleg are making me envious. :mrgreen:
I'm having to work to find enough room to store a couple of jars for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.