PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Hi,

I prefer tinned tobaccos. Do you have any tips on the best way to store it in order to maintain freshness and what do you consider to be the "shelf life" for a tin to remain fresh and viable?
I ask this largely because I see people refer to their "tobacco cellar" and I was not sure if that implied that it is best stored someplace dark and cool like wine.
thanks
Matt

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Dark and stable room temperature (closet away from sun light) is fine.
Tins w pop top last decades. Square tins with a seal can be stored as long but it's a good idea to wrap them in plastic wrap to protect the seal.
Mason jars are great. Just fill em and close the lid. The tins will seal themselves as the aging process does its thing.
Good luck!

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Oh just because they will last that long doesn't mean the tobacco always benefits from that much aging.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
When checking whether or not a tin has a proper seal/vacuum will it be readily apparent to the person whether or not the tin has passed or failed? If a tin fails the seal test will the lid come off with little effort or is there some other sign? I'm more concerned with the square tins I have than the round ones. The round ones I feel confident with, but the square and rectangle tins leave me uneasy.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks Rothnh! I just inspected a tin of SG FVF that was dented in two places and decided to pop her open. The vacuum seal was still in tact, but now I see how easy the lid will come off once the seal is broken. I jarred the FVF up and guess I'll have to smoke her next. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.