PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I am new and have been buying several different tobaccos and blends to see what I like. What is the best way to store them? I have been keeping them in my old cigar humidor but not adding humidor solution... In plastic bags, which I have heard is not the best idea. I also have heard about tobacco getting moldy, how can you tell if your tobacco has "turned".

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your question.
This is a link at the bottom left of the sidebar under Featured Articles:
Pipe Tobacco Storage
It also comes up as #1 if you Google it.
Lastly, please take the time to capitalize your thread titles. I fixed it for you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Lucky695:
I'm sure you'll find more here than you'll want to know about tobacco storage!
For me, it's simple: I buy all of my tobacco in tins, and it stays in the tin, aging (like wine), until I'm ready to smoke it. At that point, I pop open a tin and put the contents in a glass storage jar with a rubber seal and a metal-clamp lid (sold at Wal-Mart, etc.). Tobacco easily stays in smokeable condition in those jars for over a year. (That's the longest it's ever taken me to finish a single tin.) And using jars like this means you do NOT have to add any kind of humidity to keep the tobacco fresh.
For longer-term storage, I think most folks here who aren't buying tins would store their bulk tobaccos in sealed mason jars.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I like the canning jars with the little metal latch that pulls the hinged lid down tight over the rubber

gasket. I get mine at a chain called The Container Store, but I think they are available at Walmart and

many other places. They are a couple of bucks apiece, depending on size. I confess I keep quite a bit

of tobacco in plastic bags just because it's easier to pack a bowl from a pipe than a jar, but for storage,

a jar's the way. For 4 ounces or less, if you are smoking the tobacco regularly and make a habit of

squeezing out the air and zipping it tightly closed every time, the plastic bags work for a while.

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
This actually answers my question. I should have looked before starting a new thread. Sorry about that!

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Great info. I just scored a bunch of tobacco from a cigar shop that has decided Melbourne Florida is not a good pipe market - thank God his cigars sell well. But here I'm, a beginner and now have about 12 oz of various tobaccos from Cornell & Diehl, plus what I bought from Pipe and Cigar that was suggested from you folks. wonder how long it will take to smoke this??

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Stay away from the bail top jars made by Anchor Hocking. They do not seal well at all. I've had several bad experiences with their jars after a couple months of use. The best ones I have found, at the Container Store, are the jars made by Fido. For super long term storage definitely go with the mason jars as they are the best. I have had Stonehaven last ten years in the Fido bail top jars without any issues, but the rubber seal can break down after prolonged usage (opening/closing). I think Harris uses silicone sealed bail tops and those should not break down. In any event, replacement rubber rings for the bail tops are cheap.
Edit: Roth is right. Did not mean to repeat what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.