PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
I am curious about different pipe tobacco storage ideas. Do most people keep tobacco in drawers or are there those that put in a cigar humidor? Now that I have tried pipes, and found that I very much enjoy pipe smoke, I am suddenly confronted with the realization that the accoutrements of this hobby will need a home of their own... I suppose this is a good problem to have.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you buy tinned tobacco, unopened tins can sit anywhere. I have a 32 qt Coleman cooler in my basement that is my "long term" storage - things that I am deliberately aging, plus some larger unopened tins. I have a couple of plastic storage boxes for things that I haven't opened, and am not aging. The current rotation sits on a shelf, next to my pipe racks.

Bulk tobaccos, unless you are smoking them in very short order, should be stored in mason or ball jars. Likewise, when you open a tin, unless you are going to smoke it fairly quickly, put the contents in a jar. I prefer wide mouth jars myself - easier to get in and out of - and I never use jars that have previously held food - pickle jars or whatever. Some guys do; I prefer not to.

You really don't want to humidify them in a cigar humidifier - the storage requirements are quite different as to humidity required. Cigars require a significantly higher humidity than pipe tobacco.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Mine are either in the original tins, a mason jar, or the acrylic metal spoon fastener style silicon gasketed jars(for my everyday blends). I keep them all in a closet away from sunlight which maintains a steady temp and humidity..

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree with both Jud and Crk69. Try to resist the temptation to use plastic containers for long term storage.

They vary widely in properties: many block moisture, but pass some essential volatile molecules freely;

others seal air-tight, yet allow moisture to gradually dissipate through the material. With organic polymer chemistry

it's always a crap shoot.
The only re-purposed glass food jars I use are from Smucker's jams. They seal well. I clean the lids thoroughly;

but even in the worst case, I reason that a ghost of something sweet and fruity wouldn't ruin the taste of the tobacco.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
95% Mason jars, the other 5% are in bags and tins, they are kept in my spare room where it stays relatively cool. I have around 15 blends that I need to transfer into jars to keep them from drying out

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Bunch of unopened tins, bunch of mason jars, and a couple opened tins. All kept in the basement next to my pipes

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
All my tobacco is stored in mason jars, The unopened tins stay in storage if I open a tin I pour the tobacco in a 2 oz mason jar and smoke that till it's gone. Some tobacco I store in plastic zip loc bags but only if I'm taking that tobacco on a trip or just to hangout with friends when I get back i put it back in the mason jars to keep it from drying out.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have been transferring some tin tobacco to jars, thanks to advice from you guys. I have two tobacco jars full and 13 jars and an unopened tin or two.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Bulk tobacco in mason jars opened tins in mason jars or ziploc freezer bags. Unopened tins are stacked on the shelf. Good idea to use the spare cooler to put them in.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Bunch of unopened tins, bunch of mason jars, and a couple opened tins. All kept...next to my pipes
Exactly, but I keep everything in three desk drawers. The drawers are lockable and secure, which I need.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
Rothnh - Thank you, my next question was on the purpose of aging and the effects on the different tobacco varieties.
Thanks to everybody for the in depth and detailed answers. Just to show that I am not one of those fools who ask for advice and then does the opposite, I found a box of new Mason Jars, very inexpensive. I will start taking care of my tobacco at the onset of my new pasttime.
Jud - The basement long term storage idea seems like a winner for me.
How do you choose what variety to store long term and thus age? Rathnh indicated that he has over twenty year old tobacco aging in his celler. Do you merely pick a non-aromatic variety that you particularly enjoy?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I tend to keep most of mine is a bedside shelf that's out of the sunlight or a closet. Tins I usually just leave cracked until they're smoked, but bulks I leave in a latched lid plastic mason jar. You can find those at places like Wal-Mart for usually around $8 for about 8ozs worth of tobacco or $12 for a pound of bulk tobacco.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Simply put, if your tobacco is in a bag, put it in a mason jar to fit the quantity. You will not regret it! The point is to preserve original moisture (roughly, 15%) and impossible to measure except for experience. If it just barely clumps in a pinch between fingers, it is fine. Otherwise, dryer is better than wetter. There are numerous techniques to restore moisture (a different subject). The best alternative is to preserve original moisture. Use a mason jar!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
Hi guys,
I will share my thoughts on this in this weeks Pipe Magazines Radio Show.
Brian

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If Mason jars aren't immediately available, you can reseal pop-top tins by running a bead of wax around the rim

and pressing a piece of aluminum foil over the top. Then snap the plastic cap down over the tin. This will keep

your tobacco in good condition for several months. I use bee's wax because I have it, but candle wax would probably

work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.