PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdflyer

Lurker
Jul 16, 2014
I've been smoking a pipe for 3 or 4 months, and Molto Dolce is the only tobacco that I like well enough to purchase again. I've tried Boswells, P&W, and most of the suggestions for arms that have the taste of the room note. Can you suggest something similar to the characteristics of Molto Dolce.

Without this forum I would have given up trying to smoke a pipe. I have learned so much from everyone here. Thanks!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Depending on exactly which characteristics of Molto Dolce you're after, you might consider Lane's 1-Q - it's a classic and well-liked aromatic (I've had complete strangers compliment me on the room note when smoking it in public), and although it doesn't taste precisely like it smells, it's a pleasant all-day smoke that's not terribly fussy and smells pretty good. Like MD, there's a strong hint of vanilla, but that's about the extent of the flavor/aroma match with MD - my wife swears that 1-Q smells like chocolate as well.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I hear if you stuff an Mounds bar into your bowl, it's almost identical. :wink: Just teasing the old MD a bit, I like some aro's myself. MD never did it for me but I would get compliments on the room note consistently.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If you mean crazy sweet, I reccomend:
1. Dan Tobacco "Devil's Holiday" sweet berry yum
2. Peter Stokkebye "Black Trouffle" nom nom nom
3. McClelland "Georgian Cream" Very nice 3rd place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some extra sweet aromatics out there other than Molto, but I haven't gone for them. However,

some pleasantly sweet blends with good room notes include Lane's LL-7, which is sweeter than 1Q, and

Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, which is a tasty Va/bur/Cav with rum flavoring and a great room note.

A little more sophisticated, but something that might expand your horizons, are the Peterson 2013 Special

Reserve (and other years as available).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Is Dan's Blue Note still being made? That was a very popular aromatic a while back. Had about the best super sweet taste/aroma of anything I've ever encountered.

Mike S.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I agree with the Lane Limited suggestions. I also really like the Peterson Special Reserve 2014. It's a very fruity flavor and my girlfriend loves the room note. Also, 4noggins take on black raspberry is very good. It's a bit tart too which I enjoyed.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I may have to try the blue note. The more Dan tobacco's I try the more I like!
Also, WO Larson signature is the smoothest, if not sweetest aro I have tried.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
CAO Black is another blend that taste just like the room note.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't know why people like Molto Dolce. The couple bowls I had tasted like a bunch of chemicals to me. No actual flavor just a chemical taste. There are so many better aromatics out there. Lane 1-Q, Trout Stream, Hobbits Weed, etc., and Russ Ouellette's Warm Up is a really good blend too. I've yet to find a Sutliff aromatic that I've liked. To each there own though, so if you like it then keep smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.