Tobacco Shipped to Canada?

(50 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by blueeyedogre
  • Latest reply from stev0h
  1. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know this has probably been covered before and that there maybe some knowledgeable persons that could help me out. Can I, as a Canadian, order tobacco from the U.S.? I want to try different brands but the prices here are insane.... Your average 50g tin of McClelland is about $35 (up to $75 for the Christmas blends), Dunhill Morning Glory is $40 a 50g tin, and a pouch of Mac Baren Gold will run you about $27. I am not looking to order pounds of tobacco but a few tins that I can't get here would be great.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4noggins ships to Canada - and I want to say as long as you stay under 200g there is no issue - it may be more I forget the threads that had this in them.

http://www.4noggins.com/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2013-100-g.aspx $15 bucks for Christmas Cheer...

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey there. Here is a link to one of the earlier discussions/threads.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/shipping-tobacco-to-canada-from-the-us-privately

In general, it looks like you're safe if ordering 200g or less. Orders over that volume you're taking your chances with paying duty. Many of us order from US online tobacco e-tailers. Many have ordered much more tobacco than I have, and nearly everyone can talk to being charged duty on an order now and again when they order over the limit.

Do the math on the cost of tobacco locally versus the cost of buying online, shipping, and subsequent duties to see if it is worth the cost to you personally. Mind you, if the tobacco you want to buy isn't available locally, you're options are back to "order 200g or less," or, "be prepared to pay duty."

Hope that helps!

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are no issues ordering tobacco from the states into Canada. I strongly recommend 4Noggins as Rich is a great guy to deal with. Technically, any abount of tobacco ordered through mail is subject to customs charges. That being said, they don't usually bother with the paperwork for 200 gram orders. Nonetheless, I would expect all order to get charged duty, and if they slip through, it is a bonus. Even with customs charges/ shipping charges and the actual cost of the tobacco, it still will come in cheaper than buying in Canada.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rich at 4noggins is da man when it comes to shipping to Canada. Every brother to the north swears by him. I use him because he gives me a 40% discount on all my orders. I do have some pictures of him with farm animals he doesn't want getting out. lol

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will have to shoot him an E-mail. Honestly with the amount I've been smoking a couple of 50g tins would probably last me a month and a half. Even with duty it still works out cheaper and I've been wanting to try the McClelland 221b Black shag for months!! I will still get my regular blend from my shop here as I've been buying there for years and love support the local guys.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Even with customs charges/ shipping charges and the actual cost of the tobacco, it still will come in cheaper than buying in Canada.

That's the key -- and mentioned by many Canadian members here. Many have also mentioned that smaller orders (200g) run less of a risk of being charged duty.

I also recommend calling Rich at 4 Noggins, to discuss this. While many U.S. vendors will gladly ship to Canada, no one, IMO, is more knowledgeable about international shipping, or provides better customer service, than Rich at 4 Noggins.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. nscoyote

nscoyote

Login to Send PM

I will be putting in an order through 4noggins in about a week and a half. I plan to order in 200g of his Lord Methley's blend, hopefully ti goes through without a hitch. From what i can tell for personal use you can import up to 5 units of tobacco * in the case of pipe tobacco 1 unit would be 200g individually packaged*. I will likely report back as to my result with CBSA as it arrives.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have to agree with all of you, between SmokingPipes and 4noggins, the latter is the better of the two. I do have to say ive taken advantage of the Escudo and Dunhill sale from SmokingPipes, and have had zero issue with pushing my orders to 250g, even more with 4noggins, because they package everything small and discreet. Im in Ottawa FYI

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any amount you order can be charged duty. Just factor that in when you order, and as mentioned often before, you will still come out ahead of the game in terms of cost. I order smaller amounts more frequently, and that seems to be working nicely. I agree with the others above, 4noggins has the best shipping to Canada in my experience.

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll echo what Ghost has said. I work in the postal/shipping industry and ANY order is subject to duties unless you physically stay in the States for 48 hours or more. That being said, the 200 gram limit is a good guideline as Customs generally can't be bothered to nail duty on an obviously personal order. However, should you get hit with duty, and I have a couple of times, its still FAR cheaper than paying for tobacco locally.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep my orders at the 200g limit.
    Sooo many times I have wanted to fill the cart, but my luck I would get nailed.
    You can imagine how long it takes to get a good cellar going.
    The price of the tobacco I buy pretty much equals the shipping cost charged.
    I order from smokingpipes and 4noggins, both have great service.
    Fellow members in the States, I am jealous at the amount of tobacco you can order at one time
    without fear of Duty Charges.
    So I continue making my many tobacco orders, and I do mean many.!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Yeah, my next TAD is going to be split into 3 or 4 separate orders unfortunately...I wonder if I could call Rich at 4nog and put one order in but get him to ship in 3 separate packages? Anyone try this or just order 3 separate times?

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

Harris........Baaaaah!!

Alex: Please separate orders since the shipping cost will vary based on 1 or 3 shipments.

Thank all for your kind words.

Time to tend to my farm animals now. Come closer little sheepy, daddy has a present for you.

Rich

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Excellent, thanks for the info Rich. Fainting goats are the best, put up the least resistance.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fellow members in the States, I am jealous at the amount of tobacco you can order at one time

Our day is coming that we will be in the same boat as you Timely.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That will be a sad day for sure as many nations benefit from the USA's low tobacco costs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stock up while you can.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. canadianbacon

canadianbacon

Login to Send PM

Ordered 15 ounces from 4noggins, no problem

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

I got dinged by CBSA today on a relatively small order. Tin of Escudo (50g), tin of Barbary Coast (57g), and three ounces of bulk (1 each of LNF, BL/WB, and LTF) from Smokingpipes.com.
    Total tobacco weight: 191 grams.
    Total tobacco value: $28.94.
    Duty + GST + PST: $6.90
    "Handling costs" for CBSA to open my package: $9.95
    Total extra charge by CBSA: $16.85.

I guess even keeping orders under 200g is no guarantee you won't get hit.

On the plus side, $28 for tobacco and $17 for CBSA is still cheaper than the $115 it would have cost me at the local b&m.

p.s. Does this mean I'm more likely to get dinged by CBSA in the future?

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yaddy, that isn't too bad. Clearly you don't live in Alberta as I'm pretty sure the starting cost of PST is around the $60 point, and that does not include GST or any other fees.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, there is no longer a 200g threshold. Historically though they would usually let it slide, but sometimes you get an officious badass who wants to torture you. I have got tagged on less than 1% of my orders by number, so that ain't too bad. I did hear a rumour that they may be tightening up what they let slide, and maybe 2014 is the year for that - will have to see how it plays out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Northernneil, the last time I crossed into Saskatchewan from North Dakota with 4oz, they charged me 400% duty because it was under 48hrs. I won't make that mistake again!

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Come closer little sheepy, daddy has a present for you.

Lmao!!!! The land where the men are men and the sheep ARE TO SCARED TO MOVE!!!!

I've had a few adventures crossing the border. once crossing through it turned out the female border guard had gone to school with my youngest sister and they did not like each other. That resulted in a 4 hour inspection for me and my dad that included being taken into a backroom, door locked, and being patted down by a guard. After we came out my dad started laughing at the guard, when the guard asked why dad was laughing dad replied "Your 5'8 and 175lbs and you just locked yourself into a room with a 6'4, 260lb ex-military man. If he wanted to you'd be toast". Dad sent a letter to the Minister in charge of border crossing and was issues a apology for the completely unprofessional way we had been treated.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been getting dinged more often lately.
    There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the
    so called " dings ". My orders are for 8oz's at a time, and have been
    dinged $44 and change for one, while another one was charged the same as you
    Yaddy. Mind you I am still stocking up while I can.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got 6 tins in Monday with no issues. For the entire year I've been a member here the 200gm "limit" was not factually correct. It was always a guideline but you could be hit with duty for 1 single 50gm tin. The 200gm limit comes into play if you physically enter the United States for more than 48 hrs then you are allowed to bring home 200gm of tobacco per adult. That being said, the 200gm is a good guideline to still use, but be aware that these items are higher on the radar now and enforcement could become more strict. Still way cheaper than buying locally in Canada even when paying proper duties.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just received 2 packages from smokingpipes.com within 1 day of each other. No duty charges on either one. They were here in 7 days and both orders were around 193 grams.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At some point someone is going to see threads like this, report what's going on to customs, and we are all going to be hooped. Just saying.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

7 days?

I realize it was over Christmas, but my order took 24 days.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At some point someone is going to see threads like this, report what's going on to customs, and we are all going to be hooped. Just saying.

Believe me, CBSA knows what's going on.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

when you cross from US to Canada do you declare tobacco or do they search your car? I can understand a case of something sticking out but 4 ozs or even a pound seems would be easy to have just on your person? my understanding just from reading the internet mind you if you are a single male crossing the border you will get way more attention then a couple who will get more then a couple with kids? seems any over sized bra and a coupe of zip-lock s/b be good for at least a pound. also from reading the internet I understand a middle of road mom/pop car will draw less attention then a junker or fancy rig.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. papabear

papabear

Login to Send PM

Just got about 10 Onz of products from 4noggins without any issues. Took 3 days.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. mzpuff

mzpuff

Login to Send PM

I ship to family in VT and bring my 200g exemption limit back. My wife and mother-in-law, who also often travels with us, bring back 200g each. I get 600g with each trip. That's my extra incentive to visit family and make the 8hr drive with two little kids. I always declare the tobacco at the border. I've never had any issue.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. love2smoke

love2smoke

Login to Send PM

So if you have to pay duty, I take it they make you pick it up at the post office and pay the fees? My shipment of 3oz is now on Canadian soil and should arrive any day now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

@dochudson:
    It is strongly recommended that you try not to smuggle in tobacco and alcohol. Usually the first thing customs agents will ask crossing the border is do you have any firearms, alcohol or tobacco to declare. If you lie, and you get searched and they find any of the above, you are liable for duties fees as well as full penalties if they so wish to impose. Once you get caught lying on your declaration form or by lying to the agent, you will be flagged for future inspections (or your licence on your car will set off the flag). Since theoretically you are not allowed any tobacco under 48hours, if you have any it's best to let them know. If it's a small amount they usually let you go by (as evident to all of us cross border shoppers living on the border to any major US city), but it is not guaranteed.

@love2smoke:
    Duty and taxes are two different things. Depending on the agent that inspects your package, he may just tax you on the package (according to your province's tax rate plus GST). If duty is assessed, that's usually assessed as a tobacco duty (which is much higher than a regular duty for something like clothes). On top of that duty, you will pay the taxes and a handling fee of approximately $10.00. Depending on the delivery method: Canada Post charges only if Customs instructs to do so, and you can tell before they get to the door be seeing the yellow sticker and duty form plastered on you box. Canada Post delivery men have a mini POS credit card processor on them, and will take your credit card at the door. UPS, Fed Ex et al, will automatically charge you any applicable duties and taxes, as these methods get processed through their own customs brokers, and are not left to chance by inspection of a customs agent. If it's labelled as tobacco, it will be taxed and assessed as tobacco no matter what. That's why Canadians love the USPS...we take our chances of running into an over zealous agent inspection, and so far, odds are good that it will get through without any duties or taxes as long as it stays under the radar of the 200-250g mark. WHATEVER YOU DO, never let the amount go above 1 pound, as you will be then labelled as a commercial import of tobacco and if you haven't seen a big duty charge, try a pound...

Shutterbug

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtgallet

Login to Send PM

All I know is that CANADA POST SUCKS! I ordered a package off of smokingpipes.com which was supposed to be my Christmas gift to my self and treat for a recent promotion. Well its been since December the 19th and still no package.. When I check tracking details:
    2014/01/09 19:54 MISSISSAUGA Item processed
    2014/01/08 15:34 OWEN SOUND Canada Post processing error; item re-routed. Possible delay
    2014/01/07 10:45 OWEN SOUND Extreme weather conditions at this location; item delayed
    2014/01/06 04:37 MISSISSAUGA Item processed
    2014/01/05 18:45 MISSISSAUGA International item released from Customs for processing by Canada post
    2014/01/02 10:59 MISSISSAUGA Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.
    2013/12/24 10:14 USMIAA,USA International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada
    2013/12/19 14:03 29566,USA International item mailed in originating country

I live in Vaughan....15 minutes from Mississauga.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mtgallet - I am sorry that your package has taken so long to get to you, but aside from the one day burp due to the deep freeze and crazy road conditions between the 7th and 8th, it looks like most of the delay you experienced was in shipping and travel to Canada. That's a bummer, but was totally out of Canada Post's control. I'm guessing that the length of time it took to get to Vaughan had a lot to do with the three statutory holidays, reduced staffing over the holidays, and the varying weather nonsense of the last three weeks. Let's hope that your package arrives safely, and leads to a deep and delightful smoke to make up for it.

Cheers,

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. love2smoke

love2smoke

Login to Send PM

just got my order today, 3oz, no tax or duty. phew..

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. shutterbug

shutterbug

Login to Send PM

@love2smoke:
    Don't be too concerned about duty and getting caught. We Canadians are so used to ordering from the US for our tobacco, that any taxes and duty is built into our thought process about overall cost, so that if it gets dinged, we're not too upset about it. After all, even when you add up all of the taxes, duties, deliver costs AND the Canadian dollar, you're still paying cheaper than if you were to buy that tobacco here. On top of all of that, the selection is a thousand times better than anything you will find in Canada (and fresher I might add). Order like normal, and enjoy what you got slipped through today before American prices jump any higher...

Shutterbug

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

mtgallet

Login to Send PM

@pruss I understand that conditions have been terrible, and that there have been statutory holidays in between. But what really grinds my gears is how it somehow ended up going from Mississauga (close to me) to Owen sound! (very far from me) before it comes to me! blows my mind. And the cherry on top is that it arrived today, I wasn't home to sign and they charged me $32 in duties or taxes lol...... just my luck

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I knew you were going to get charged duty just based on the time chronology above.

A shame about the incorrect routing. Still, I have only had that happen one time out of, as I said, hundreds of orders. In my experience it is pretty rare.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed, I don't think it's a good idea to gloat you're getting tax free tobacco, the only reason you aren't being dinged if you aren't is because if you've ever worked in a post office or any kind of shipping place, it's a very fast paced environment and you're literally throwing packages off a line as fast as you can onto waiting trucks. If the company you order from doesn't have tobacco or smoking or pipes or cigars etc... right in the name, it brings down the chance of getting dinged considerably, but don't think that their just "letting it go through" on good faith because they think it's under 200 gms. Look at Australia for instance, not many packages get through there. I think it's best to just keep your mouth shut and enjoy a good thing and maybe shoot a pm to someone if you've had a good experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. andypandy

andypandy

Login to Send PM

I concur with Andrew(and Ogre).

Anders Sandum
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. dhintonca

dhintonca

Login to Send PM

These experiences are all in line with mine. I think I've paid duty on a less than 200 g packet once, maybe twice. I assume I'm going to be charged duty when I calculate whether it's worth buying from the US or locally then if I don't it's a bonus!

Cheers, Dallas
    Posted 5 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Our day is coming that we will be in the same boat as you Timely.

And when it happens, collectively we will deserve it all up to and including total bans on tobacco products.

On another thread, I encouraged forum members to contact their legislators, constantly and frequently, I think only one responder said that grudgingly he would try. Everyone else said that they wouldn't waste their time..

Having worked in lobbying for private and Christian education in California, and gun rights in Arizona, I can say that involvement does matter, and I have seen victories on both fronts because people chose to get involved, and it is much easier nowdays with online tools like capwiz that advocacy groups employ...more often than not, three clicks of a mouse can contact all your legislators after you have done the simple registration. Programming your cellphone with the numbers of legislators federally and locally make contacting while commuting or packing a pipe a breeze.

But that is too much of a sacrifice for some.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-Any Windsor, ONT pipers around? I could be talked into trading a couple of tins for a 24 of Brador.

Obviously, things changed at the border after 9/11. As a kid growing up in metro Detroit, I spent a lot of my free time in my summer's off from college (i.e. when I was over 19 but not yet 21) going to Windsor to take advantage of drinking age arbitrage. On numerous occasions the US border guards on the way back would just take the designated driver's word for it that the guy passed out in the back seat was an American citizen.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. stev0h

stev0h

Login to Send PM

Hey all, I know this is an older thread, but I'm not on here much, and I just want to share my most recent tobacco importing experience. I ordered (from Smokingpipes.com) 6 oz bulk Arango Balkan Supreme and 1 oz C&D straight latakia, which converted, equals about 198 grams. Total US value was $16.38, which Canada customs upped to $22.83 due to our crappy exchange rate. They then dinged me for an additional $79.63 for extra duty, HST, and the Canada Post handling fee (which is $9.95).

Now I don't mind getting hit occasionally, but I would like to know how they calculate the duty rate, as I have been hit about a half dozen times in the past year, but never for this much. Previously the rate was usually set at $6.57 (but sometimes less) per 50 grams or part thereof. This time it was set at $19.72 per 50 grams, but they didn't even calculate that correctly as they multiplied that rate x 3, when it should have been x 4 (200/4=50 grams). Now for the fun part . . .

Here is the route my order took to get here:

Your item was delivered in CANADA at 6:27 pm on October 1, 2015.
    Attempted Delivery - Item being held, addressee being notified, October 1, 2015, 11:19 am, CANADA
    Customs clearance processing complete, September 29, 2015, 7:45 am, CANADA
    Departed, September 24, 2015, 6:27 pm, West Palm Beach, UNITED STATES
    Departed, September 24, 2015, 3:45 pm, Miami, UNITED STATES
    Customs Clearance, September 23, 2015, 9:59 am, CANADA
    Processed Through Sort Facility, September 23, 2015, 9:59 am, CANADA
    Departed, September 19, 2015, 6:08 am, Montreal, CANADA
    Departed, September 18, 2015, 5:52 am, Hamilton, CANADA
    Departed, September 18, 2015, 4:36 am, Louisville, UNITED STATES
    Departed, September 18, 2015, 12:01 am, Louisville, UNITED STATES
    Departed, September 17, 2015, 9:51 pm, West Palm Beach, UNITED STATES
    Arrived, September 17, 2015, 10:55 am, Miami, UNITED STATES
    Processed Through Sort Facility, September 17, 2015, 7:57 am, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
    Arrived at USPS Facility, September 16, 2015, 6:23 am, MIAMI, FL 33112
    Arrived at Sort Facility, September 16, 2015, 6:23 am, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
    Shipment Picked Up, September 14, 2015, 2:55 pm, LONGS, SC 29568
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, September 14, 2015

As you can see, once it was in Canada it landed in Hamilton, then went to Montreal, cleared customs, then was shipped back to the US, then back to Canada! 17 days to arrive, when normally my orders arrive in 7-11 days. Now for the sad part . . .

I placed another order on September 22 as I was one of the lucky Smokingpipes.com Balkan Sobranie email alert winners, not thinking there would be any kind of problem. But this second order has taken the exact same route as the first, and this time I fear I will be zapped for considerably more, as 2 tins of Sobranie and 1 of Ten Russians totalled $31 US, so once exchanged will probably be $41-42 Canadian.

FYI - I have sent in the CBSA form to appeal the higher than usual duty rate charged on the first order, so I will let you all know what happens with that, but I have no idea how long the appeal process takes. If I get hit with duties on this next order, I will await the appeal results from the first one before appealing the second one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Steveoh.

The 6.57per 50gms sounds like the federal tax rate. There will usually be provincial tax added on to that, which is different for each province. I'm guessing that's where the $19 and change comes from. You can Google "tobacco tax" and your province to see what it is per 50 grams, or portion there of. Eg if you order 51 grams you pay duty for 100 grams.

There's a much more current thread here :
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/canadian-duty-taxes-of-mail-orders

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steveoh; Peck explained the calculation really well Here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. stev0h

stev0h

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the links stickframer and fmgee. After reading through that thread, I was able to determine what I should have paid in extra charges, which breaks down as follows:

Excise, duty, HST, & handling

$6.571880 federal excise per 50 grams or part thereof
    $0.139750 Ontario provincial duty per gram or part thereof
    13.00% Excise & duty added to $CDA value of purchase price before HST is calculated

Example for 198.447 gram purchase

$6.571880 x 4 (50 gram units) $26.29
    $0.139750 x 199 (grams total) $27.81
    $16.38 x 1.3325 (price in $CDA) $21.83
    Total value for HST $75.92
    13.00% + HST $ 9.87
    $85.79
    - Purchase price -$21.83
    Total excise, duty, & HST $63.96
    $9.95 + Canada Post fee $ 9.95
    Extra Charges Grand Total $73.91

So bottom line, I calculate they did overcharge me, but only by $5.72 . . . Can't wait to see what happens with my CBSA appeal!

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers, leafsmoker