Tobacco Selection in the 1901 Sears, Roebuck & co. Catalogue.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
source: https://archive.org/stream/catalogueno11200sear#page/21/mode/1up
I took screenshots and sharpened up them a bit:
q1d3yuj.png

sZMTAc9.png

dFxm6wY.png

33fdUIE.png

Zoz6OOJ.png

fbWcV4o.png

Jari

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I checked an inflation calculator and it appears that these bulk tobaccos sold in range of ten dollars a pound in current dollars or just about half of what the cheapest bulk goes for today. As expected the tin prices in 1901 are far higher per pound than the bulk. What is unexpected is that the small 1 3/4 oz. tin of Golden Scepter sold for far more than today's tins. Almost 300% more in fact. Clearly small tins were affordable only for the well-to-do.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks, Darwin, for the pricing update. Looking over the list, I'm guessing that the tobaccos were a good deal stronger than what we're smoking today, and I find myself particularly happy at today's selections, and am more than willing to pay the price.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I'm not sure if this was targeting the consumer alone. Who the hell buys 24-30 pounds of pipe tobacco or 10-pound pails of chewing tobacco?
"Sweet Clippings" is naturally just 25c per pound :) That thing must've been poison

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Ruscho, to answer your question look at the " what's in your cellar?" Thread. Many culprits.
Lol, I hear that! But that's a recent trend.

I want to meet the guy that was buying 16 pound butts of "Jolly Tar" and shake his hand! :worship:

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
It could very well be that since so many Sears & Roebuck customers were either rural or lived in very small towns that it was common practice for a bunch of local smokers to get together and pitch in for one of those big tubs o' tobacco. Two pounds each, about 70 cents, for a half dozen guys would have lasted them several months at least.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Very interesting!

Not to start anything, but when comparing prices, the CPI inflation index is a poor tool. I did a bit of research and the average laborer in those days was earning $150 annually on a 6 day 9-10 hour ( if one was lucky ) work day, basically 5 cents per hour ..... so a dollar was a dollar and it took some time to earn by the sweat of one's brow, so to speak.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
The sources I'm able to access indicate that the $150 a year wage was that of the lowest rung of the labor market and the average of workers in industry was in the range of three times that. Nevertheless a dollar was indeed a goodly sum but I'd be willing to bet that the average factory worker spent far more than that on alcohol in several months. Most working men back then would likely have considered both tobacco and booze more of a necessity than a luxury.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
would love a bucket of the Plantation Twist. for a lot of folks back then Sears catalog was about their only option for a lot of things. there are 2 houses in my little town that were bought from Sears and shipped in on railroad cars. $4.65 for at least a years worth of smoke and chew.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Sears might have not been averse to selling to small local retailers at that time. They wouldn't have had much of a way of checking whether Sam Jones was a regular consumer or the owner of a store, if they even cared one way or the other.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I'm glad you liked it. As a Nordic pipe man all this awfully interesting to me. "Americana", that is.
This is a clip from my favorite documentary.The great writer Hearry Crews is talking about Sears Roebuck catalogue and shit.
"Stories was everything and everything was stories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LE1hyRgys
From the Brit docu "Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus" by Andrew Douglas. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.