PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
When I opened my first Erinmore Flake tin the smell of the tobacco was so good that I wanted to eat the cake. Those thin wet fruity smelly cakes. To prevent myself from becoming a tobacco eating bug, I just packed a bowl and smoked it. It was so wet that I could feel Niagara Falls in my mouth. It was so wet that G20 wanted to hold another summit for the climate change it caused. I got some tongue bites, but I tasted each element and nuance in the tobacco. Oh, I spent almost a pack of matches to keep it lit. I left another cake to dry over night. I smoked that one the next day , it didn't taste same. It will never taste as same as a tobacco right out of the tin.

I love Erinmore, but I am shocked that you liked the smell of a fresh opened tin, blech. To me, the fresh tin smells like a urinal cake, a used one. I like to bake my tins of this (or leave them on my hot dashboard throughout the summer days here), as it seems to mellow out the flakes and brings the fruitiness to the forefront. Luckily, for me, it also loses that urinal smell.

But, also keep in mind that being able to taste a tobacco is subjective to many, many variables; temperature, pipe, mood, food I ate, what I'm drinking, time of day, what I'm wearing, etc... Give it another chance, again and again. You might find that it is different from that first experience, but maybe you'll find an "other" reason to love the taste.

This is why I try not to review a blend until after I have smoked a whole tin. My initial impressions of a smoke, will always change. It is just the nature of the hobby, and something I think borders on alchemy and magic. it keeps me intrigued.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Chew it like a man then spit the juices out in front of old woman. only then, like me, may you become a full Jedi.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I love Erinmore, but I am shocked that you liked the smell of a fresh opened tin, blech. To me, the fresh tin smells like a urinal cake, a used one. I like to bake my tins of this (or leave them on my hot dashboard throughout the summer days here), as it seems to mellow out the flakes and brings the fruitiness to the forefront. Luckily, for me, it also loses that urinal smell.

But, also keep in mind that being able to taste a tobacco is subjective to many, many variables; temperature, pipe, mood, food I ate, what I'm drinking, time of day, what I'm wearing, etc... Give it another chance, again and again. You might find that it is different from that first experience, but maybe you'll find an "other" reason to love the taste.

This is why I try not to review a blend until after I have smoked a whole tin. My initial impressions of a smoke, will always change. It is just the nature of the hobby, and something I think borders on alchemy and magic. it keeps me intrigued.
As you stated above, I do that all the time. I open a tin, I smoke it, I dry it for an hour, I smoke it, I dry it overnight, I smoke it. Because I am new to pipe smoking, I don't smoke different blends everyday. I just buy a tin or pouch, open it and smoke it until it finishes. That is the only way to get the real taste of the tobacco. Until now, my "feels great right out of the tin" experience happened with Erinmore Flake only, Erinmore Mixture felt better after drying it a little bit for example.

I cannot speak for everyone's taste buds, but mine work differently that the way you describe. If I smoke the same blend twice in a row, I taste it less and less. This is why (I Think) that many of us smoke a rotation of tobaccos. If I smoke (let's say) McC's Red Cake, I will then smoke maybe some Capstan, then maybe something else, and come back to Red Cake latter in the day, if I want. But, if I smoke the same thing over and over, it gets to become like cigarettes, no longer really tasting it at all, just getting the "fix."

In one of the many early attempts to quit cigarettes, I would notice that after weeks of quitting, smoking one again would taste so good, like I had never tasted it before, and then after a few more, I was back to just smoking to smoke, no taste.

I'm not sure what is going on with taste buds exactly, but I just notice that I have to mix it up to keep tasting my pipes.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Glad to her some poor soul enjoys erinmore, I avoid that stuff like a dose of the clap!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I cannot speak for everyone's taste buds, but mine work differently that the way you describe. If I smoke the same blend twice in a row, I taste it less and less. This is why (I Think) that many of us smoke a rotation of tobaccos. If I smoke (let's say) McC's Red Cake, I will then smoke maybe some Capstan, then maybe something else, and come back to Red Cake latter in the day, if I want. But, if I smoke the same thing over and over, it gets to become like cigarettes, no longer really tasting it at all, just getting the "fix."

In one of the many early attempts to quit cigarettes, I would notice that after weeks of quitting, smoking one again would taste so good, like I had never tasted it before, and then after a few more, I was back to just smoking to smoke, no taste.

I'm not sure what is going on with taste buds exactly, but I just notice that I have to mix it up to keep tasting my pipes.
Thanks for a nice long explanation, I really appreciate it. When I started smoking pipes, I was doing the same thing, I was trying different blends every day (I can only smoke a bowl, max. 2 per day). But it prevented me getting the real taste of tobacco. I smoked Captain Black Regular yesterday evening (and the night before, and the night before, and the night before...) for example, and I was going to smoke it tonight again, however since you stated I am smoking another blend tonight. I am just waiting for that moment to arrive. I wouldn't have smoked the same blend all the day though. Just because I don't have enough time, I get to smoke up to 2 bowls a day. I will update thread tomorrow. Regarding cigarettes, I quit for one week once and my first cigarette felt amazing after a week. I quit for a month and my first cigarette after a month felt like crap.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Glad to her some poor soul enjoys erinmore, I avoid that stuff like a dose of the clap!
I find this comment very offensive and cannot even attribute to an English gentleman like you. A logical person will not judge another person based on a single pipe tobacco choice.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Ugh, I need to try more of this. My first tin didn't even seem aromatic.
you are totally right, there are many smokers saying that Erinmore Flake or Erinmore Mixture doesn't feel like aromatic. Well, for me Erinmore falls somewhere between Aromatics and Non-aromatics.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I haven't tried Virginia Cream yet, reviews prevented me to do so, besides I have a loooooong way to arrive there. Lots of tins are waiting for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.