Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Tobacco Recommendations on a Budget?

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cc532c

Login to Send PM

Can anyone recommend a good tobacco at a "reasonable" price?

And while you're at it, if you can tell me what you like about the brand and the general cost, your name will be writ large in the self-help books of my children's children.

Thanks in advance,

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Define 'reasonable'. Factors such as location, income, quality of the product, among others impact expenditure.

Simplest answer: buy an OTC or buy Lane's blends in bulk. Assuming you're in the US.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

Well that depends. If you're talking about bulk versus tin, your value will almost always be better in bulk buys versus tin buys as you're not paying for the additional packaging. As always, you get what you pay for, so typically better tobaccos can cost you a little more. Then it also depends on what your looking for. Do you want English, Virginia, Balkan, Burly, aromatics?

I would highly recommend you to use the tobacco locator on Smoking Pipes website. You can use it to narrow down what you're looking for by family, blender, cut, components, tin/bulk and then you can sort it by price low to high and pick out things you might want. From just the prompt I could throw out any number of blends that are on the "reasonable" price side, but there's no grantee you'll like what I suggest.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Grand Croupier Has some bargain bulk blends, like ~$15 per pound. “Boneyard” gets good reviews, but it’s a mystery mix of various left-over English blends from what I’ve read.

I put up a thread asking about it but since I didn’t get any responses I’m guessing it’s relatively unheard of / no one has sampled it. I’m going to grab a 4oz sample with my next order from SPC.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What do you like to smoke? And, as Olkofri asked, what is "reasonable"?

Here's some of my faves, and prices at P&C.
    Lane Ready Rubbed is a top notch burley, and is $5.23 for a 1.5 oz pouch.
    For a straight Virginia flake, Sutliff Virginia Slices is excellent, and 2 ounces would cost you $5.
    PS Natural Dutch Cavendish is a very nice all day sort of smoke, and 2 ounces is $4.44.
    If you want a latakia blend, PS Proper English is a good choice, and will set you back $5.12 for 2 oz.
    All of these are regulars in my rotation.

Lane, Sutliff, and Stokkebye all have loads of aros, if that's what floats your boat. I don't smoke those, so I will not recommend any.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't go wrong with Stokkebye. They have a little bit of everything, and its great stuff. Their Luxury Navy Flake is a favorite all day Virginia flake, and their Turkish Blend is right tasty too. Between $30-45 per pound, so easy on the wallet.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For less than 20 bucks you can get a pound of Picayune from D&R, and another of their double toasted burley and mix em.
    (that's each, on the price, to be clear)
    Nothing fancy, but great quality, taste and value. The entire line is worth a look-see.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I think this is a double-thread. Here's some additional answers.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

juliatom543

Login to Send PM

I recommend you to buy E-cigarettes. Because it is tobacco and also healthy to use. You can get one from ECig-City Coupons. there is a huge collection of E-cigarette and vape. you can easily find one at an affordable price.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

I recommend you to buy E-cigarettes. Because it is tobacco and also healthy to use. You can get one from ECig-City Coupons. there is a huge collection of E-cigarette and vape. you can easily find one at an affordable price.

HUH???

I’m thinking he/she is asking advice on a pipe forum for a reason...

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Wait, this isn't the ecigsmagazine.com forums???

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

Because it is tobacco and also healthy to use.

Priceless!

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes & Cigars has five Cherokee blends on sale for $9.99 per pound. Just saw their email ad.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If my son attends Harvard Medical, I'd be happy smoking these blends the rest of my days.

Drexel VIII
    Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman
    Airlift Blend No. 5
    Daughters & Ryan AB Rimboché

YMMV

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

juliatom543

Login to Send PM

HUH???

I’m thinking he/she is asking advice on a pipe forum for a reason...

Well, I know that! but I thought that recommendation for e-cig may be useful for him.
    Because from the comment it is clear that he wanted to gift pipe to someone. That's why I mentioned it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Because from the comment it is clear that he wanted to gift pipe to someone. That's why I mentioned it.

How is it clear? He's asking where to get good tobacco at a reasonable price. He never even mentioned a pipe.

And even if he did, vaping is nothing like pipe smoking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

+1 for Lane and Stokkebye. Their bulk prices are quite reasonable, even though I know that’s subjective. Between those two brands I’d be shocked if you didn’t find 2 or 3 blends that you very much enjoy. You can’t go wrong trying an English, a Virginia or VaPer, and maybe an aromatic that sounds tasty to you. And speaking of bulk, Gawith Hoggarth have some downright excellent bulk blends but they are frequently out of stock, and seem to be up closer to normal retail tin prices like $10 per 2 oz. or thereabouts.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. bogfire

bogfire

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am in Nova Scotia Canada. Pipe tobacco is approx 35 to 40 dollars a pouch. I ordered online from Smoking Pipes and with the duy it cost me over a hundred dollars. What do folks in my situation do?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peter Stokkebye bulks. Cant beat 'em!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What do folks in my situation do?