Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm currently on holiday in Ireland and could use some recommendations for tobacco to buy that we can't readily get back in the states. I purchased a pouch of Maltan dark rich flake ready rubbed that I sampled today and enjoyed. I've seen Condor and McQuaid plug and might pick up pouches of each. Anything else I should keep an eye our for? Peterson tobacco is common here but is about twice the price compared to what we pay back home. I did find a shop selling Petersons Irish Seconds and couldn't resist picking up a 303 fishtail for 40 euro. Smokes great. Slainte!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Grab some Warrior Plug, for sure!
Edit: If you grab a few extra, I'd have cash waiting for you upon your return. :puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very few shops carry the plugs, but it's worth asking around. If you're in Dublin, the Peterson shop at the end of Grafton is your best bet.
Besides Condor Plug, you might keep your eye out for Velvan and Yachtsman. Yachtsman is a sweet VA/burley plug. Velvan is similar, but darker and lightly flavored (kind of citrusy/Earl Grey tea-like flavors).

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Also on Grafton, James Fox has the plugs! Just got my first Erinmore Plug from them, and they have others:

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=215_438&zenid=ca26b7e38a86ed37c5a152750d819389

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, to be in Dublin now that fall is near. Great price on that Peterson second. I think you can actually smoke a pipe on St. Stephen's Green. Jonathan Swift, the great satiric novelist and Dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral is buried in the cathedral beside his life-long woman friend whom he never married. Imagine that happening anywhere today. What a sweet city despite all its rugged history. The library at Trinity College is awe inspiring if you are bookish, with balconies providing ladders to climb to upper shelves of books. And the Book of Kells, on exhibit, a great illuminated (illustrated in color and gilt) manuscript.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the tips. I'm not visiting Dublin this time but am staying on the west coast. Hopefully I'll find the tobaccos you've suggested! So far pipe tobacco has proven a bit hard to come by though i have come across Peterson pipes is shops here and there. On the hunt for a small tankard.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you're on the coast road along Galway Bay, Joyce's in Indreabhán (Inverin) carries Condor Plug. Most places will carry the ready-rubbed, though.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Find a local pub, order a pint and talk with the natives, get some of the local favorites to try and you will be happy Im sure, When in Rome.....

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Update from my trip:
Many thanks again for the recommendations. Sadly I didn't find most of the tobaccos I was looking for but did manage to buy some Maltan RR, Condor RR, and Mellow Virginia - based on a recommendation from a local pipe smoker I happened to meet. I enjoy them all and wish I had purchased more of each. I did find a newsagent in Listowel who had a decent selection which included the aforementioned plus a few others including Mick McQuaid Plug which I'm kicking myself for not buying as I assumed it would be available in Ennis, the town closest to where I was staying. I know the tobacco I brought back with me won't last long and am hoping someone can recommend an online store where I can purchase UK/Irish tobaccos that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping to the states.
Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.