banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Tobacco Recommendations for Someone Who Doesn't Seem to Enjoy Latakia

(52 posts)
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I am discovering my first couple of non-aromatics so I went on and bought 2 blends that contain a lot Latakia: John Cotton's Number 1 and Black Frigate. I found their taste similarly overpowering on the bad side, especially Black Frigate. Not in the nicotine department, but in the taste department itself.

So, any tobacco recommendations to which non-aromatics I should buy next? I liked Peterson Irish Flake a lot.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Escudo and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Both are delectable.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

There are alot of good tobaccos that do not contain Latakia. Capstan Original or Gold, Hearth & Home Viprati are few you might want to try. I'm sure others will chime in with some good ones as well.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the recommendations so far. It seems that all of those are straight Virginas or Va/Per's.

Any Burley based recommendations?

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I've moved to Virginia's lately i used to enjoy latakia but ordered a few tins of ogs and have been working through them for the past month luxury bullseye flake, sutliff 507c, luxury navy flake all seem pretty good to me

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a good burley you may enjoy C&D's Pegasus.
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1588/cornell-diehl-pegasus

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few VaBurs that IMO are very good:

MacBaren Navy Flake
    GLP Barbary Coast (more burley than Va)
    C&D Redburn
    C&D Briar Fox
    Stokkebye Cube Cut

If you don’t like latakia, you may not like dark fired Kentucky too much, either

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you don’t like latakia, you may not like dark fired Kentucky too much, either

Maybe krizzose is on to something here.

I wouldn't rate BF as a latakia bomb. I notice the latakia in there but it's not overpowering like it is in other blends, say Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. If you're that latakia-intolerant, stay away from EMP and Nightcap (which should be easy, considering they're no longer being made).

You just might be an aromatic smoker, in which case I salute you.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

+1 Olkofri. I wouldn't rate either of these blends as a lat-bomb.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with not being into Latakia blends. I'd recommend about any of Cornell and Diehl's burley blends (Old Joe Krantz and Three Friars are both good), or some mild Virginia blends like GL Pease Union Square or Cornell and Diehl Opening Night.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I'll put this one at the bottom of my priorities, then.

You just might be an aromatic smoker, in which case I salute you.

Could be the case, but I've found all the aromatics I've smoked not as interesting as Peterson Irish Flake, which was the best tobacco I've ever had. I had to tone down its strength though, the nic hit was intense.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Do you think that these 2 latakia blends can get "smoother" if I cellar them for 1 year or so?

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can try. I hear they become milder with age, but not sure if that refers to flavour or nic hit.

I'd encourage you to try to get some Sillem's Black (an aromatic with latakia), or some other more sophisticated aromatics, such as Vauen's. 7 Seas and CB are low in the complexity scale.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I'd encourage you to try to get some Sillem's Black (an aromatic with latakia), or some other more sophisticated aromatics, such as Vauen's. 7 Seas and CB are low in the complexity scale.

I'm not really enjoying 7 Seas and CB very much anymore. I mean, I can smoke them, they are OK, but my heart asks for something better, like Irish Flake. That's why I asked for burley recommendations.

I'll look up for those you mentioned. I recently bought a tin of Stanwell Melange which is said to be a top notch aromatic. I found Melange to be better than 7 Seas, but still not great like Irish Flake.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dislike latakia but like Dark Fired in reasonable amounts. If you like Irish Flake you will certainly like Peterson's Perfect Plug, and based on descriptions I guess University Flake as well.
    Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is an excellent example of a blend with lots of Dark Fired but balanced with virginias.
    For blends with Dark Fired as a condiment and more of a medium nic hit compared to Irish Flake I'll recommend St Bruno and Hal o' the Wynd. They are both very flavorful virginia blends. HotW has perique and Dark Fired and StB has Dark Fired and an aromatic topping. Both are excellent.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you don't like JC#1 or Black Frigate, I'm afraid we can't be friends....

I'm going to offer that you should try something with dark fired anyway. To me, it's very different than latakia.

For generating ideas, use the tobacco locator tool on smokingpipes.com

Even if you can't order from them, the tool will help you research by category and components.

MacBaren's HH Acadian Perique has just about everything but latakia in it and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm, you want burley in the mix and no latakia.
    How about Brunello Flake, University Flake or Stonehenge Flake?

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

You can't go wrong with C&D's Old Joe Krantz, but it does have a pretty good nic hit. If you haven't tried Mac Baren's HH Acadian Perique, you might want to give that a shot, it's a really interesting blend and not as strong as Old Joe Krantz. I also really love C&D's Bayou Morning, which doesn't have burley, but it's still worth a try.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

This thread is something that I'll save to my Favorites here in Firefox. Amazing recommendations. Big thanks to you ALL!

But I would also like to ask something else: is it possible to tone down the taste of latakia with Carter Hall?

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Mississippi river is a mellow smoke with just a touch of latakia, some people cannot taste anything in it but the taste is there just mellow. I mean if you want to give lat another try that has to be the choice.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe you could tone down latakia, but that stuff is very dominating, esp. when you don't like it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall. Also, if you want to try some blends that have very little latakia, but are still nice and strong, C&D's Bayou Night has a very subtle latakia flavor, and C&D's Big and Burley is a strong burley with a subtle latakia flavor.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

Sutliff Aromatic English sold in bulk is a nice aromatic-english crossover to my palate. I'm not a big fan of Lat bombs either, but I do like a little latakia when used as a condiment rather than the main ingredient.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall.

Taken note!

What about Dunhill Royal Yacht Mixture? What do you guys think?

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Machado,Dunhill Royal Yacht is pretty strong in nicotine,Ribbon cut,primarily Virgina tobacco with some 'secret sauce.Perhaps You would like enjoying Peterson Hyde Park instead which is VaBur akin to G&H Rum Flake a bit less floral topping though.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  25. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I second Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and Acadian Perique.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I didn't enjoy latakia, I would enjoy C&D Burley Flake #1, which is unlike all of those other wimpy flatulent burley flakes. It's the only tobacco anyone needs. You will definitely like it.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

There's always Gawith Hoggarth Brown Twist Sliced. (Hopefully not a batch contaminated by a Lakeland essence infecting their processing equipment.)

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I'm taking notes from all of you guys.

If I didn't enjoy latakia, I would enjoy C&D Burley Flake #1, which is unlike all of those other wimpy flatulent burley flakes. It's the only tobacco anyone needs. You will definitely like it.

I was just searching about the Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes. They all seem to be delicious. In your opinion, in which points is #1 better than the other Burley Flakes from C&D?

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

If you put enough Carter Hall, you could. It's really just all about the proportions. But Latakia is very potent in a blend, so it would probably need to be mainly Carter Hall.

I've just blended 2/3 Carter Hall and 1/3 John Cotton and it worked fairly good.

Seems that just a bit of latakia doesn't hurt so much.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia and perique are like pepper and cumin: they are meant to be condiments, not core ingredients.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Latakia and perique are like pepper and cumin: they are meant to be condiments, not core ingredients.

So would you say that those companies producing blends that contain reasonable to big amounts of latakia are missing the point?

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HH Old Dark Fired has already been mentioned, but I'll also recommend you try HH Burley Flake as well. It's not as strong as Old Dark Fired and certainly not as strong as Irish Flake, but nonetheless a very tasty Burley blend.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Planta - Presbyterian Mixture could maybe fit the bill with just a smidgen, some say none, of Latakia. Otherwise, Orlik Golden Sliced, Belgian Semois is an interesting kind of Burley also. C&D Briar Fox is a nice Bur/Va.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

So I went through you guys' recommendations, did some research and bought the following tobaccos:
    MacBaren HH Burley Flake (Burley based)
    Hearth and Home Viprati (Va/Per)

Those two had amazing reviews and some of you guys recommended it as well...

I guess both must be great.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

By the way, I'm getting used to latakia as time goes by. I insisted on smoking it and my palate adapted to it.

John Cotton's is very addictive, I'm smoking it all the time, despite still not enjoying the smoky "campfire" taste of latakia that much.

Black Frigate is a little stronger, but I'm starting to like it too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate is a little stronger, but I'm starting to like it too.

We'll have you swabbin' the decks in no time, me hartie!

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

We'll have you swabbin' the decks in no time, me hartie! [:clap:]

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

If you have access to it JF Germains Rich Dark Flake is a top notch vabur with a molasses topping that is well worth a try.
    Chris.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Haunted Bookshop from C&D is a tasty burley based blend.

Another burley based blend I enjoy os Prince Albert.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

You must be very sensitive to Latakia as there is barely any at all in Black Frigate. When I lost my taste for heavy Lat blends I started enjoying Virginia blends more especially Virginia/Oriental blends. All of the above suggestions sound great so I'll just add G.L. Pease's Cairo to the list.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  41. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

You must be very sensitive to Latakia as there is barely any at all in Black Frigate.

So, John Cotton's being an English, it does contain more Latakia than Black Frigate? I'm surprised...

What makes Black Frigate kind of more punchy than John Cotton's? (I know Latakia isn't a hard-hitting tobacco, just curious)

Thanks for the recommendation by the way!

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Over the past several years I've avoided most English blends and have never tried any of the John Cotton's blends, but would guess that it's the type of Virginas used in BF, or maybe the rum.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's got red VAs, doesn't it?

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend. Whatever you aren't liking about Black Frigate is probably something other than the latakia. Of course it's also possible I could've just been having one of those days where tastes are a little off, and it's also possible you just really really dislike latakia and are sensitive to it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend. Whatever you aren't liking about Black Frigate is probably something other than the latakia. Of course it's also possible I could've just been having one of those days where tastes are a little off, and it's also possible you just really really dislike latakia and are sensitive to it.

Well, at the beginning (2 weeks ago or so) I found a somewhat similar and pungent taste in both John Cotton's and Black Frigate and, reading the descriptions, I deduced it was the latakia.

Maybe it was "placebo", but I still think there's something in common between those two.

What do you think it may be if not the latakia?

Today, 2 weeks later, John Cotton's tastes very smoky to me, but mild. Black Frigate's taste is harder to pinpoint (more diverse/complex IMO), but there is definitely some link between the two.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It's got red VAs, doesn't it?

Yep

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I smoked two bowls of Black Frigate (pretty much back-to-back) and could literally not taste any latakia. I'm pretty confident there is only a miniscule amount of latakia in the blend.

That's why I like it so much.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

" What makes Black Frigate kind of more punchy than John Cotton's? (I know Latakia isn't a hard-hitting tobacco, just curious)"

I do find that C&D Virginias are on the medium to strong side, so that might be it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

That's why I like it so much.

I'm confident that every member of this forum is well-acquainted with your views on latakia

I will also admit that I have come to prefer a good Virginia over any latakia blend most of the time, and now only occasionally smoke latakia, maybe once or twice week, and probably less often than that once spring comes since I'm essentially a seasonal latakia smoker.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

So I went through you guys' recommendations, did some research and bought the following tobaccos:
    MacBaren HH Burley Flake (Burley based)

So, how does it taste?
    If you're not a Latakia guy or maybe just somewhat, I'd recommend Macbaren's HH Latakia Flake as well, for me it was a very unique Latakia blend, different (somehow smoother) than any others (smoked so far).

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

So, how does it taste?

Both are great!

Tasted them first yesterday, and kept puffing today.

The HH Burley flake caught my attention more (especially when very dry), but Viprati is amazing too.

The Burley Flake reminds me of chocolate with a hint of coffee. I smoke it drinking chocolate-flavored coffee... Overkill, isn't it?

Posted 3 months ago #
  52. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

The Burley Flake reminds me of chocolate with a hint of coffee. I smoke it drinking chocolate-flavored coffee... Overkill, isn't it?

Haven't tried yet a chocolate-flavoured coffee but if you like it, that's it. Love a lot of sugar in it but recently my stomach has started to complain and for health reasons I've eliminated the sugar. It's not that bad after all, it's surprising how flexible a human body can be.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   peckinpahhombre, cortezattic, 5star, timt, jeff540, pappymac