Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I really like Condor Long Cut, Ennerdale Flake, St. Bruno Flake, Ennerdale Flake, War Horse Bar and Black Parrot (flake).
I was wondering if you'd recommend: Curly Special by Peter H., Three Nuns, Solani Virginia Flake, Solani Tropical Mango Flake or McConnell's Scottish Flake.
I want something smooth, complex and with higher nic. I am not such a fan of the plum/raisin type flavor.
I don't mind some flavor. I just don't want a full blown aromatic. I don't think I have ever had a straight-up Virginia flake.
Any favorites?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cake-Black Frigate and Pirate Kake
Flake-Aylebury Luxury Flake and Newminster Superior Navy Flake

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
You forgot part of the name of one of those Solani blends - it is Virginia Flake with Perique. So, if you don't like the plum/raisin, stay away, as 633 carries a deep fruit (which is delicious) with it, and is cased, I think, in honey and is a sweeter VaPer, IMO. It is my personal favorite VaPer, but if you are looking for straight Va, you may not like it.
I can speak for GL Pease Union Square for a Va that lacks any added sugar in the casing. Good stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Have you ever tried erinmore flake? It may interest you if you are interested in a tropical mango flake, it is not a tropical mango flavor but there is a tropical element to it, plus sometimes I get a kind of urinal cake essence from it which if you enjoy ennerdale you would probably enjoy it. I enjoy it alot, medium nic, apricot plus some other flavors, and it's priced right.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you don't like that plum/raisin/date or stewed fruit flavor, that takes a number of great flakes off the table.
But I would second the recommendation of Newminster Superior. A more toasty VA flake with little fruit, and quite inexpensive. Also try Dunhill Flake.
The previously suggested Blockade Runner is also an interesting smoke on the cake side of things. I don't smoke many cakes but this is one I'm always up for.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'd suggest Petersons Irish and University Flake. You might also try Stirling Flake, similar to IF but a little stronger in flavour.

For cake perhaps SPC Mis.River.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You said you wanted more nicotine, and when I read flake and cake I hear compressed tobacco. High nicotine has been my mainstay for a number of years. These recommendations are certainly that.
Brown rope, too strong for me, but I smoke it anyway on occasion. Very plain brown VA flavor.

Black rope. It took years for me to accommodate to the flavor, which some describe as having cigar notes, but I would suggest a blackened steak. It has so many flavors that it's hard to describe.

1792. Better love tonquin flavoring. It's not topped but cased. Samuel Gawith's best-seller. When I first smoked it I felt it was completely unique. which it was at that time.

JackKnife Plug. A boatload of dark-fired with enough red VA to give it balance.

Triple Play. Big VA/Perique.

Condor Plug. Not as potent as the above, but full-bodied. Rose geranium significant but not moderate. Fine blend.

Gaslight. operator nicotine, one of the finest latakia blends I've had.

Chenet's Cake. 35% Perique, so a high perique blend, but very well-balanced nonetheless. One of my favorites.

Sillem's Commodore. Full-bodied but less nicotine than Condor. Latakia with sweetened black Cavendish as a condiment.
And of course Dark Flake/Plug, both of which I adore. The plug is different than the Flake by virtue of compression melding, and has floral overtones.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

If you like War Horse Bar then you may like Old Dark Fired? It's a flake that's deep sweet earth. It's a little less strong (not much), a little less nutty (IMHO), and a little more sweet; and it's also minus the Carmex topping.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Um, second on "Pirate Kake" 75% latakia tho. So you kinda have to like it. and I recently tried Rattray's Sterling flake which was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.